Only You (And You Alone)

It was a typical day at the record label, and I was already nearly done with what little work I had. I debated leaving early, but like most days it was only me here and I didn't want to lock up in case we got any important phone calls.

Since I couldn't leave, I decided to take advantage of the quiet and stare at the sun as it shone brightly outside.

Enthralled with the scenery, I'd completely ignored the sound of the door squeaking open, along with a man's voice grumbling somewhat angrily.

"We've got to fix that door." Ringo barked, slamming it harshly. He looked up and did a double take, then smiled as if seeing me made him happier.

"You're a peach today, Starkey." I smirked, twirling my pen between my fingers.

"Yeah well, when you've got executives bad mouthing the label, it makes it hard to be in a good mood."

"Right." I nodded understandingly, remembering how one of the Polydor executives had made a remark that Ringo was treating his label "like a toy." Ever since then he'd been in a sour mood.

"I'm sorry."

"Why? You haven't done anything wrong..."

"I know, I'm just...sorry."

Ringo grinned and sat across my desk, wringing his fingers together seemingly deep in thought.

"You can go home if you'd like." He muttered quietly.

"Oh no, I'm fine here."

"I mean, it's the weekend. I know those are priceless to twenty-somethings like you. Go out with your boyfriend or something."

"I... I don't have one anymore." I confessed, and immediately his eyes widened.

"I'm...sorry." He said, though it didn't seem very sincere.

"It's alright. I'm the one who broke things off."

"Oh?"

"Yeah...I don't really want to talk about it."

"Okay."

We both sat in silence for a few minutes, before I heard the sound of the fax machine. I went over to retrieve the papers, and Ringo followed close behind. He looked over my shoulder, scanning the documents I was holding right along with me.

While reading I noticed that the ink was slightly faded at the bottom, which meant it was running low so I took it upon myself to change it.

"Mind holding these for a second?" I handed Ringo the stack of papers, then reached for the top shelf where the ink cartridges were. I heard him groan softly as I stood on my tippie-toes, and then I heard the stack of papers fall to the floor.

"Put that on the desk and come with me please." Ringo said suddenly, pointing to my desk.

"I don't mind changing the ink, it's not a problem."

"You can do it later. Come."

I nodded confusingly, but did as I was told.

He led me to a back room, one mainly used for supplies and equipment. He turned on the light and walked around, then stopped to sit on large wooden desk in the corner.

"Come sit." He patted the space beside him. I walked over to it, smoothing the back of my skirt down before sitting down. I noticed he was watching me the whole time, and when I caught him staring he cleared his throat.

"Nice outfit."

"Oh, thank you." I chuckled, tucking my hair back behind my ear coquettishly.

"That skirts a bit short to be wearing without any knickers though, hm?"