A Beginning

"Which one is your favorite?" I ask Ringo, cuddling up to the silk fabric on his chest.

"That one!" He says, pointing to the biggest star.

We laid on the grass outside just watching the night sky, beautifully illuminated by the moon.

The weather was perfectly warm, enough to wear a dress. Of course Ringo had on a long sleeve button-up shirt and pants because he was always cold.

"Mmm, that's a nice one." I sighed into him.

I suddenly began to feel pensive as I stared at the vastness of the atmosphere. I felt overwhelmed by it all.

Only a few days from now Ringo would be up in that sky on a plane flying to America. He would be there for a while, and I probably wouldn't see him at all. It was something I hated thinking about.

I knew that success was inevitable and he would soon be the object of many girls affections. I felt as if I could never stand a chance. Eventually he'd find some model and shack up with her, forgetting about this very moment and all of the others we've shared before.

I tasted a familiar saltyness on my cheek and my eyes began to burn. Would this moment be one of our last?

"What's the matter, love?" Ringo broke the silence, feeling the wetness through his shirt I presume.

"N-nothing. It's fine. I'm fine." I said, trying not to sound as vulnerable as I felt.

"No you're not. Tell me, what's the matter?" He asserted, lifting himself up to sit. I got up as he did and sat across from him.

Looking into his perfect blue eyes made this even more difficult.

"You're crying, my love. Please tell me, what is it?" He asked kindly, reaching his hand over to wipe my tears. I grasped onto his hand as it caressed my face, never wanting to let go.

"Ringo do you love me?" I cried softly as more tears fell.

"Absolutely my dear. What would make you think I didn't?" He asked, seeming genuinely hurt by my question.

"It's just... it's such a big world out there. There's so much to be seen, and so many people to meet and I-" I stopped, choking on my own words as my heart broke into pieces.

"Does this have to do with me going to America?" He moved closer to me, with his hand still cupping my damp cheek.

"Well, yeah. Ringo, I can't expect you to feel the same way about me once you're out there." I began, looking down so I wouldn't make eye contact with him.

"There are so many women in America who would love nothing more than to be with you. Women who are much better than I am."

Before I could say another word he kissed me, hard and with purpose. I tasted not only my own tears but now his. I held onto the back of his head with my hands and pulled him in to deepen our kiss.

Our tongues dances to the beat of an unknown tune as I slowly felt my soul reform. This kiss was everything, and that was why I had to break it.