Your Mother Should Know (request)

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I walked towards the front steps. Ringo's hand was on the small of my back, rubbing it reassuringly as I tried not to stumble.

The whole car ride consisted of me preparing for this moment. I rehearsed what I'd say countless times, and checked my appearance every five seconds to make sure no hair was out of place. This was one of the most important nights of my life, meeting Ringo's mother for the first time.

I reached out my shaky hand to knock and waited anxiously for the door to open.

When it finally did, I saw a woman standing before me, smiling from ear to ear. Her grin was so welcoming, and for the first time tonight I'd been able to calm down.

"Hello Mrs. Starkey, I'm y/n!" I say with a smile to match hers, extending my arm out to shake her hand. Her eyes scan me up and down, then she shifts her gaze to her son without saying a word. I panic for a brief moment.

"Ritchie she's beautiful!" She yells, pulling me into a firm hug, making me yelp but also sigh in relief.

"Mother!" Ringo shouts in embarrassment. She ignores his plea and continues to embrace me.

"I'm so happy to finally meet you! I'm Elsie! Please, come in!" She eventually removes her arms from my body, giving me a chance to catch my breath.

"Sorry about that." Ringo whispers in my ear.

"It's no problem!" I reply with a smile, stepping into the house with Ringo by my side. Her house is decorated quite beautifully with lots of colors and artwork. I see pictures of Ringo plastered all over the sitting room wall, and I'm anxious to know the stories they hold.

"I'm going to go have a puff outside, are you alright?" Ringo asks me as he wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"Uh... sure!" I most certainly am not alright. In fact, I'm petrified. So far his mother seems to be very sweet but what if that changes when we're alone? He's her only child and I know she wants what's best for her son. What if I'm not it?

I watch as Ringo goes off to the patio, leaving me to awkwardly wander around as Elsie checks on the food in the kitchen.

I look at the pictures that cover the walls, smiling at a photo of Ringo as a little boy. It was hard to believe that he was once so tiny and innocent-looking.

"Oh there's plenty more than that, Y/N." Elise quips from behind me, skipping towards the bookshelf by the couch. She pulls out a dusty album and blows on it, coughing at the dust flurries that fill the air.

She sits down on their sofa and pats the cushion next to her. I take a seat and she opens up the album.

"This one is my favorite. How cute is Ritchie? He used to be so rambunctious!" she admires, pointing to a photo of him in nursery school.

"Used to be? He still is!" I joke, and I'm relieved to hear her laughing at it.

"Oooh I like you!" She says, patting me lovingly on the shoulder. We looked through the whole album and bonded over our love of Ringo. She was much less intimidating than I thought.

Ringo eventually came back inside and went to freshen up for dinner. I headed towards the dining room and waited patiently for him to join me. While I waited I scanned the room, which was very pretty.  There were red glasses and plates and a black tablecloth that adorned a large natural wood table. The walls were a creamy white color that accented the red and black decor beautifully. I could tell that Ringo must have gotten his eye for design from his mum.

Ringo came into the room and we sat down at the table as his mother finished up the food in the kitchen. I was starving, and her cooking smelled heavenly.