Go To Him (Part 2)

My clothes still smelled exactly like him, the threads infused with his signature cologne. I try my best to mask it with my own perfume but I know what lies beneath the surface.

His skin particles are still underneath my fingernails, his taste is lingering on my lips. Remnants of him are all around my body, yet It's John's hand that I'm holding. It's him I'm walking side by side with into the studio, not Ringo.

It was just a brief stop. The band needed to go over some things and John had allowed me to tag along since we had already planned a day together. I was quite timid. It had been a while since I'd been around John and Ringo at the same time, as shortly after our affair began I had quit my job at the studio. I worried that John would catch onto something once we were all in the same room together again.

Hand in hand, we walked into EMI and were greeted warmly by the secretary. My legs felt shaky as I looked around the room, and I breathed a small sigh of relief when I didn't see Ringo right away.

"Hello John, hello Claire." She smiled and quickly shifted her attention back to her paperwork.

"I'll wait out here, babe." I whispered to John. He grinned and kissed me on the cheek, and I settled into one of the chairs in the lobby.

I tapped my feet nervously on the ground, then remembered the pack of cigarettes I'd brought. I shuffled around my purse until I found it, then placed one between my pursed lips.

I inhaled greedily, letting the smoke completely penetrate my lungs and give me a bit of relief.

With the cigarette still between my lips, I decided to get up and walk around. Sitting wasn't doing my anxiety any favors.

"I didn't know you smoked, Claire?" The secretary smirked as she watched me pace around.

"I don't, usually. Just a bit nervous today." I chuckled, taking another long drag.

"I've got something that'll relax your nerves." A thick scouse drawl chimed in from behind me.

"Oh hey Ringo." I smiled nervously as his hand brushed against my shoulder. The same shoulder he bit last night while he was fucking me senseless on my living room couch.

"You look nice today. Where are you and John headed?" He asked, sitting down at the edge of the secretary's desk and pulling a joint out of his pocket. He offered one to me, but I politely declined.

"Just going for a late lunch, then probably headed home. Aren't you supposed to be in there?" I gestured my hand towards the studio where the other three boys were chatting away.

"Nah. I hate meetings."

I laughed at his cynicism.

"And why's that?" I smirked.

"They're boring! It's just John and Paul yapping about something or other while George and I play footsies."

I giggled and locked eyes with him briefly, but peeled away as soon as I noticed the others joining us.

"Hey Claire!" George and Paul sang and gave me hugs, while John just crossed his arms and stared.

"Hey guys! How was the meeting?" I asked.

"Oh you know." Paul chuckled, and patted my back.

"Ready to go, love?" John asked, strolling towards me then pulling me into his arms for an embrace. I smiled and kissed the tip of his nose.

"I think so!" I retorted. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Ringo looking at me pensively, and it made me feel a bit awkward.

John and I said our goodbyes to everyone and began to walk out. Before he opened the door Ringo stopped us, making my heartbeat come to a halt.