Easy for Me (request)

"Good morning, Ms. Ainsley."

"Good morning Mr..." I stop dead in my tracks when I see the man before me. "Mr. Starr, it's... it's so nice to meet you!"

I rise from my chair and shake his hand, feeling utterly star struck.

"I take it you know who I am?" He chuckles as he shakes my hand eagerly.

"Oh do I ever! That's why I'm applying for this job!"

"Really? That's why?" He asks, seemingly taken aback.

"No! No, that's not the only reason, I'm sorry. I do genuinely want to work for a record label an-"

"I'm just messing with you, love. Come on back." He grins and motions towards his office door. I breathe a sigh of relief and follow him, then take a seat at one of the chairs across from his desk.

"So Ms. Ainsley-"

"You can call me Mary if you want." I interject.

"Right, okay. I've gone over your resume Mary, and I must say that it's quite impressive. You practically meet all of the qualifications."

"Thank you." I grin, feeling wildly confident already.

"But..."

Shit. There's always a but, isn't there?

"Two other women have already interviewed for this same position, and they too are exactly what we're looking for."

"Oh." I mutter defeatedly.

"So I want you to tell me Mary, what sets you apart from the rest?" He asks, looking up at me with his vivid eyes, which I only now notice are as blue as cornflowers.

"Well um... I'm a very fast learner, any order you give to me I'm sure to follow in a swift and timely manner. I also get along well with others, but I'm very comfortable working on my own as well. I can also work as many hours as I need to, day or night. I have full availability."

"Wow. Wonderful. Full availability, eh? Pardon my intrusiveness, but doesn't a girl like you have a husband to look after? Or a boyfriend?"

I laugh, "No, I'm single."

"Why is that?"

"Is this a part of the interview or?"

"Maybe it is, maybe it isn't." He smirks.

"I um, just haven't found the right guy I guess."

"Yeah, yeah I get that. I'm sure he's out there somewhere."

"Hope so!" I chime with a breathy laugh, then clear my throat.

"So are you married, Mr. Starr?"

"Hey now, who's the one conducting the interview here?" He chuckles.

"Sorry."

"No, it's alright. I'm not married, actually. Not anymore."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Things happen." He responds with a slight smile, then returns his attention to my resume.

"Well, like I said before your resume is very good- but there are other people who may be a touch more qualified than you are so I'm not sure if I can promise you a position quite yet."

My face falls somberly, and my heart drops along with it.

"Hey, don't be so down on yourself. There is still a chance you might get the job!"

"That's sweet but I can tell you've got someone else in mind." I mutter as I stare down at my lap.

"It's just that I really, really need a job. My lease is almost up at my apartment and I can't renew it if I don't have proof of income." I begin to cry, my emotions now coming to the forefront.