*Chapter Twenty* {Masquerade}

"Are you sure you'd rather baby sit than go to the ball?" Claire asked Sarah

"Are you sure you'd rather baby sit than go to the ball?" Claire asked Sarah. Claire felt like she had practically taken over Sarah's life but the middle aged nanny didn't seem to mind. In fact, Sarah absolutely adored Madelyn and had come to love Claire. Sarah only ever really had her brother, her brother and Liz. Now, she had Madelyn, Claire and Caroline.

"Trust me, I've had my fill on the partying life. Go have fun with your friends, make good choices" Sarah said pointing at her teasingly. Claire smiled as she put her earrings in. "And can I just say, you look gorgeous"

"Thanks." Claire said and gave a twirl. It was a red dress, same shade as Caroline's. However, Clare's is floor length with lace sleeves and a sweetheart neckline.

"Claire, you ready?" Caroline asked walking into her sisters room. Claire smiled at her sister. "We look good" Caroline said and Claire nodded in agreement.

"I won't be gone long, I'll just say my hi's and goodbyes and I'll be back." Claire promised Sarah.

"None sense. Go have fun. Don't worry about Madelyn, I've got her. We're going to be just fine" Sarah reassured. Claire smiled and nodded. She hugged and cuddled Madelyn for a few moments before Caroline took her out of Claire's arms, placing her in Sarah's and then dragged her sister out to the car.

"So, are you going to tell me what you've been hiding from me or are you going to keep playing stupid?" Claire asked as they drove to Tyler's house. Caroline went to dismiss her but from the look on her sisters face, she knew she had been caught. "What's going on Caroline?"

"We're killing Katherine tonight" Caroline confessed. "We have this whole plan."

"And that is?" Claire questioned slowly.

"I'm not telling you" Caroline said strongly.

"Why not?" Claire asked slightly offended.

"Because you're not needed" Caroline said shrugging. Claire pouted. "We've got it handled. Besides, I don't want to involve you. Katherine is very dangerous. She can get to anyone. I want you as far away from this as possible but seeing as I wouldn't have been able to stop you from going to the ball, then I'm keeping you out of the plan."

"Caroline-" Claire whined.

"No" Caroline shook her head. "You're not changing my mind. If you got hurt, I wouldn't forgive myself. Besides, you have Madelyn to think about. Do you really want to put yourself in danger and risk making her motherless?"

"Caroline, don't make me choose between your safety and being in Madelyn's life" Claire told her.

"I'm not making you make that decision, I'm making it. I'm a vampire, I can handle myself a lot easier than you can." Caroline reminded her. Claire went to respond but Caroline stopped her again. "And yes, I know you're technically a witch but what if you run out of magic when you need it?" Caroline asked. "It's too big of a risk and it's unnecessary. We have everything covered."