*Chapter Thirty Eight* {The Last Day}

*Skipped Klaus, the episode, didn't really see a use for is seeing as it's about Elena learning the truth about the curse which Claire already knows and Klaus taunting the gang, which Claire isn't apart of.*

"Matt" Claire called out walking over to him

"Matt" Claire called out walking over to him. She had been looking everywhere for Caroline but couldn't find her anywhere.

"Hey, Claire" Matt smiles putting his phone away. "Hey, Madelyn" He greets and the baby just coos and wiggles in the carrier.

"Have you heard from Caroline?" Claire asked.

"Uh, no, actually. She said she as going to meet me during my lunch break, which is now and she's not here. I just called her and she didn't answer." Claire sighs pressing her lips together in deep thought. "Thanks, Matt" Matt nods and they walk away from each other.

"Klaus, I presume" Claire hears Damon's voice. She instantly turns towards them.

"In the flesh." She looks at the man talking to Damon and Alaric. She feels like her heart skips a beat.

"Any reason you stopped by to say hi?" Damon asked standing to face Klaus. Claire sets Madelyn's carrier on the table, watching the interaction.

"I'm told you and your brother fancy my doppelganger. Just thought I'd remind you to not do anything you'll regret." Klaus tells them. Claire doesn't even bother to listen to Damon's response, she simply focuses on Klaus.

He's just like she imagined. Now that he isn't in Alaric body, she could feel the soulmate bond become stronger, just like it was with Elijah. She fought against her instincts to go towards him.

"Let me be clear" Klaus tells Damon. "I have my vampire. I have my werewolf. I have everything I need." Klaus explains. "The ritual will happen tonight. So if you want to live to see tomorrow, don't screw it up." Klaus warns before going to leave but pauses when he catches a whiff of Claire's scent.

Klaus's head snaps towards her. He grins and changes direction. Claire's heart beat races causing Klaus's arrogance to rise. He stops in front of her, Madelyn's noises drawing his attention. He looks at her, his face softening.

He could see Claire in her. He knew he could never hurt anything that had a piece of Claire, such as Madelyn. In fact, he felt a desire to protect the child as if she were his own. He hated himself for threatening her and knew he fucked up when he did.

"Who's your vampire for the ritual?" Claire asks gaining his attention. He frowns his eyebrows not understanding why she would care.

"A vampire my witch grabbed" Klaus answered her. Claire clenched her jaw.

"Who. Is. It?" She snapped. Klaus frowns taken back by his tone. Claire rolls her eyes and pulls out her phone. She opens a picture of herself with Caroline and shows it to him. Klaus instantly recognizing Caroline as the vampire Maddox had snatched for his ritual.