*Chapter Twenty Two* {Katerina}

Claire didn't sleep a second the night after Damon staked Elijah

Claire didn't sleep a second the night after Damon staked Elijah. Every time she closed her eyes, all she could think about was his grey skin and motionless body. She didn't even have to close her eyes for the image to plague her mind.She hardly stopped crying.

Caroline knew what happened but she couldn't really understand the pain Claire was in. She didn't understand how Claire could be so heart broken after just meeting the guy. Caroline hadn't seen Claire cry so hard since she found out Aaron died.

The only bit of peace Claire got was when she was around Madelyn. The second she got home, she was practically glued to her daughter. The fear of not living to see her came back. The heartbreak of Elijah lessened but not by much.

"Claire" Caroline whispered softly. Her sister stood by the cradle watching her daughter sleep. "I have to go help Elena with something, will I see you at school?" She asked but Claire didn't answer. She didn't make any motion to even let Caroline know she had heard her or even knew Caroline was in the room.

Caroline sighed and left to go help Elena open the tomb so she could talk to Katherine. Claire had heard her sister but she couldn't bring herself to answer. She felt numb but in so much pain at the same time.

"Hey Claire" Sarah said softly. She didn't have a clue on why Claire was acting like this. Liz didn't know and Caroline wasn't telling anybody. "I'm here to watch Madelyn if you want to get ready for school." She said gently. 

Sarah walked up to Claire slowly and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. Claire jumped so hard that Sarah stumbled back. Then Sarah noticed the look in Claire's eyes. The look of someone just barely holding it together. The look that someone had when they were about to break at the slightest touch or blow of the wind.

"What happened?" Sarah asked softly wanting to help but can't if Claire won't talk.

"I have to get ready for school." Claire said in a robotic tone. Sarah sighed as she watched Claire get ready. When she was done, she picked Madelyn up and held her close.

"Mama loves you" Claire whispers in tone of desperation. She held her daughter as if it were the last time she'd see her and the sight broke Sarah's heart. "I'll be back, I promise" She whispers before setting her back down and leaving.

The journey to the high school happened in a blur. It was like one second she was at the house and the next she was at school. She sat in the car, trying to find the energy to get out and get moving. A knock on her window brings her from her thoughts. She looks up and sees Matt.

"Hey, what's wrong? You've been sitting there for like, 20 minutes" Matt said as Claire finally got out of the car.

"It's been a rough day" Claire whispered.

"Day? It's not even 9 yet" Matt tried to joke but Claire just walked towards the school. "Hey, wait, I'm sorry, I shouldn't joke." He said realizing how serious her mood is.