*Chapter Sixty Two* {The Murder of One}

"So you're the mate" Claire stops abruptly as a tall redhead suddenly appears in front of her

"So you're the mate" Claire stops abruptly as a tall redhead suddenly appears in front of her. The girl bends forward and sniffs her.

"What the fuck?" Claire stumbles back looking at her weirdly. The girl tilts her head. She looks at Claire curiously, studying her, sizing her up.

"Funny, you don't have his scent. How much can you mean to him if he hasn't completed the bond by now?" She wonders stalking towards her.

"Sage" Both women look behind Claire. Both of them smile.

"Finn" They both say. Claire turns back around and gives Sage a glare, one which the redhead returns fiercely. Finn growls at Sage warningly. He comes to a stop behind Claire. His chest brushes up against her back.

"I've missed you" Sage says walking towards them. Instantly, Finn moves in front of Claire. Sage saw this as an invitation to come closer but Claire knew Finn was being her personal protective barrier.

"You need to leave" Finn said sternly. Sage stops abruptly. Utter confusion settles on her face. "Leave Mystic Falls, don't go near my mate again." He growls.

"Finn" Sage said softly. "You haven't completed the bond yet. It's not too late. Come with me. We can both leave" She pleads reaching for his hand. He moves it away.

"Sage there was a time when I cared very deeply about you. That time has gone. Claire is my life. I have not completed the bond yet because she is not ready and I will wait for all of eternity for her if she so wishes." Claire smiles to herself, a blush coming up to her cheeks.

"Finn, please" Sage begs. "I've waited for you, for 900 years. You won't have to share me, you'll have me completely to yourself-"

"I. Don't. Want. You." Finn said slowly trying to get through to her. "Leave. Now. Don't make me tell you again." He growled not wanting to compel her but willing to do so if she doesn't leave. He may not love her anymore but a small part of him still sees her as a friend. However, he knew they couldn't be together, not even as friends. It wasn't a good idea. Claire didn't trust her, his family didn't like her and frankly, he didn't trust her either, especially around Claire.

"Fine" Sage whispers slowly backing away. "I love you" She whispers before turning and walking down the street. Clare glances at Finn nervously.

"Are you alright?" Claire asks gently gaining his attention.

"Of course" He answers truthfully. Claire's slightly hesitant to believe him and he notices this. "Claire, I promise you I'm fine" He tells her grabbing both her hands. "Sage is in the past, you're my future and I will do everything in my power to not jeopardize that. What I felt for Sage all those centuries ago is nothing compared to how I feel about you in this moment and all the moments I have shared and will share with you."

"I love you" She tells him before kissing him. He grins pulling her into his embrace. "We should have some fun. Things have been far too depressing recently." Her arms lift and lazily wrap around his neck. He holds her waist, grinning down at her like a fool in love.