*Chapter Twenty Nine* {Crying Wolf}

"Caroline?" Claire questioned walking into the living room

"Caroline?" Claire questioned walking into the living room. Caroline, Bonnie and Jeremy all looked at her like deer in headlights. "What's going on?"

"I thought you were going to the park with Madelyn." Caroline said obviously nervous about something.

"We're just about to leave... Why don't you answer my question" Claire suggested inching closer to them. Caroline speeds in front of her blocking her view of a passed out Luka, a warlock, that they were going to interrogate.

"A friend of ours passed out at the Grill, we're helping him out" Caroline said smiling at her all too innocently.

"A friend of yours that I don't know?" Claire asked raising her eyebrows. They were all in the same friend group, how would she not know one of their friends?

"We just met him." Bonnie speaks up. "Not really that close, just looking out for him." Claire stares at Bonnie and then at Jeremy who just smiles.

"Ok" Claire mutters knowing they were lying to her but not knowing why. Caroline feels her guilt build as she realized Claire didn't buy their story. "If you need me.."Claire said shifting the carrier Madelyn was in to her left arm. "I'll be at the park."

"Have fun!" Caroline chirped. "I'll see you later?" Claire just nods and leaves. She knew they didn't trust her anymore. It was obvious, not at first but now it is. They were starting to keep things from her because of her connection to Elijah and Klaus. It hurt that not even Caroline seemed to be on her side.

"Alright, Mad-Cat" Claire muttered walking into the park. "This looks like a good spot."  She tells her. She sets Madelyn down and pulls out a blanket. Claire lays the blanket down and takes Madelyn out of the carrier.

Madelyn was nearing 5 months. She wasn't quite big enough for the swing yet nor was she really old enough to teach herself how to crawl. However, Madelyn is a very giggly baby and Claire thought it was adorable.

Madelyn laid on her back, on the blanket, watching the clouds fly in the sky. Her eyes are wide with wonder as various sounds gained her attention. She looked from place to place. She looked at the trees, the squirrels and the butterflies.

Claire sat beside Madelyn and read to her. She read a few children's books to her, mainly Dr. Sues. However, her mouth may have been reading out words but her mind was in a completely different place.

She couldn't stop thinking about Caroline. Caroline's the only one who knows Elijah's been hanging around Claire but Claire wonders if that's still true. She wonders if Caroline told the others and that's why they were keeping her out of the loop. She didn't understand it and to have her and Bonnie lie right to her face, it crushed her.

Claire spent the entire day at the park with Madelyn. Madelyn took more than one nap both on the blanket and in the carrier. While Madelyn took her naps, Claire drew. She hadn't drawn in a long time, just like she hardly had time to write in her diary anymore. Elijah was always in her room and spending time with him always seemed more appealing than writing in her diary.