*Chapter Twenty Three*

"Claire?" Elijah grumbles slowly waking up

"Claire?" Elijah grumbles slowly waking up. The sound of crying had woken him up. He was about to fall back asleep when he felt an emptiness in his arms. His eyes slowly opened, it was struggle to keep them open.

"I'm right here" Claire whispers from beside the bed. "I'm feeding Madelyn, go back to sleep." She whispers. Elijah rolls onto his back releasing a long sigh and rubs his face. He glances at the clock noticing it was three in the morning. His head rolls back over to Claire, his eyes adjusting to the darkness. "Why are you staring? Hoping you'll get a sneak peak?" Claire teases.

Elijah grins and he lets out a tired laugh. He tucks his hands behind his head, his eyes still trained on her. She sways side to side slowly as she feeds Madelyn. She's humming a low tune he doesn't recognize.

"How is it that you're still the most beautiful woman in existence even at three in the morning?" He questions in a deep voice that sends pleasant shivers down Claire's spine.

"You should get your eyes checked." Claire jests. Elijah smirks and climbs out of the bed. Madelyn stops feeding from Claire and snuggles in her mothers arms.

"My eyes are as perfect as you are" He whispers in her ear. Claire blushes as Elijah envelopes her with his arms, his head burying in her neck easily as her hair is in a messy bun. She shivers at the feeling of his hot breath which causes him to tighten his grip.

"Flirt" Claire names. Elijah smirks against her skin and moves his head so that his chin rests on her shoulder. "I am going to love her so much more when she lets me sleep a whole night." Claire whispers and Elijah chuckles.

"That's not going to happen for a long time, Elskan" He whispers in her ear.

"What does that mean?" Claire questions, her eyes still trained on Madelyn.

"It can mean a number of things" He whispers to her. "Darling, sweetheart, love. It's Icelandic."

"Oo, fancy" She whispers and he chuckles reburying his nose in her neck. Claire hums pleasantly as she feels his lips kiss her skin softly.

"Madelyn's asleep" He whispers. Claire hums. "You need your sleep." He adds. Claire simply hums again too tired to really process what he's saying at the moment. "Elskan, put Madelyn back to bed please so you can get some sleep."

"I like holding her." Claire whispers.

"I know you do but you're exhausted." He mutters. Claire sighs but nods. She gently sets Madelyn down and allows Elijah to bring her back to bed. "You're a good mother, Claire" Elijah whispers but Claire is already asleep. Elijah smiles and presses his lips on her head before falling asleep as well.

It felt like seconds had passed before her alarm went off telling her it was time to get up for school. Claire whined and turned the alarm off. She cuddles deeper into Elijah's embrace.