|45| ~The Lost Wolf~

Unedited.
Embry POV.

"Are you okay?" I voice my concern out loud. "I was worried about you. King Cyrus wouldn't allow me to come see you. He kept saying that you were currently occupied."

Claire makes a funny face and then seems to be lost in thought as if she doesn't know what to say or better yet how to say whatever she wants to say. " Yeah, I'm fine," she finally answers, while taking a seat beside me. I hope that's the truth.

I don't think I can take watching this girl experience another episode of pain. Last night, really did scare the crap out of me. That's exactly why I'm currently watching her every move. I refuse to allow any more harm to come her way, not on my watch. Nope!

"Embry," but's in my wolf. "What's that smell?"

"What smell," I ask, while taking a deep whiff of the air. Oh, my that smell. It reminds me of...

"Do I smell," suddenly ask Claire, while taking a sniff of the fur coat that she has on.

Oh, my Goddess! We offended her. How can I explain to a human that I can smell so many scents on her without sounding weird?

"Oh, Goddess no," I quickly express and then begin to explain to the best of my capabilities. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. It's just, you smell like their king, mixed with an unfamiliar scent, and then a very familiar scent. I just can't place my finger on it."

I really can't but I can identify that the familiar scent smells like my uncle. Yes! Now that I'm thinking about it her coat has my uncle name on it, hypothetically speaking of course! At least, I believe it's hypothetical! There is no way that Claire knows my uncle, is it?

"I believe it's your coat. Where did you get it from?"

"Mecca," she answers me. Mecca? Who is that? The name sounds familiar, I heard it before but I'm certain that I never met a wolf by the name of Mecca. Plus, all wolves have great smell memory. I would have been able to identify that scent, if I met this Mecca person.

"Who is Mecca," I voice my confusion, which earns me a wide-eye stare from Claire. She's staring at me like I've randomly grown two heads as if she's way pass the point of surprised!

I don't get it. This world is such a big world. Claire can't possible expect me to know everybody who resides in it.

"When were you taking, Embry," she questions me after a while, knocking away my train of thought and completely catching me by surprised.

How did she know that I was taking? I mean.. Who told her about that? Are the vampires joking around about my misfortune? No, I'm being silly Cyrus wouldn't allow that.

"Cyrus told her mate, Embry," advises my wolf. Wait!

"What are you talking about,"

"Embry are you serious," growls my mate. Use your head for once. It's obvious Claire is mated to.."

"You don't have to answer that," Claire interrupts. I understand."

"No, no, no...It's fine," I respond. "Not it's not," my wolf growls. It's not fine at all."

Instead of responding, I choose to shut her out. She's about to start acting up again. I can tell. Whatever she thinks she knows about Claire or who Claire is mated to is none of our concern. I don't need the extra stress. I'm already stressed out enough. That is the problem, I've been so stressed out that I haven't even really have time to think about my family.

This never ending battle with my mate has consumed me whole. I've been so focused on Cyrus, I haven't really had time to process how fucked up my situation really is. It's almost been one passing moon.