(75).

"The Stay"

       Sad songs haven't been Alicia's thing. They tear her up and she gets reminded of the sad things that happened in her life. It ruins her emotions and pushes her to do stupid things like getting that girl who was singing on the Microphone tripod thrown out of the Inn and telling her to go fuck herself in the bathroom when she gets home. That microphone had to be taken out of there. Alicia couldn't differentiate what she was doing. Her voice was so itchy. She was singing a sad break up song, crying in between and sniffing.

      "Do you think I give a fuck? Give a fuck 'bout who you fuck?" she sung like her boyfriend was standing in front of her. Alicia covered her ears with her palm and heard Dawn laughing by the counter. "Cause I can't fall in love without you. So please don't fall in love without me." She stretched the 'me' and she must've thought she was hitting some high notes in there.

    "Bitch, get the fuck out of here." Alicia mumbled. She sighed, turning to order one more cup of coffee and Jake walked in. She put her hand down and looked away. His footsteps got closer to her and she winced. "Please don't come here." She prayed.

     "Hey," he said and sat in front of her. Her fingers drummed on the table and she started to sweat in her dress. "Heard Max came by. You're really crazy huh?" he forced a laugh and she forced a smile. Such a nice day going on here.

    "A little," she answered.

    "Why'd you run off like that?"

     "Jake..."

     "Let me guess." He stopped her. "You still love him?"

     "I don't. I don't want you and I to end up like strangers too. I love being friends with you and I don't want us to go above that. I like you and I know this isn't going to work."

     "You don't like me enough Alicia."

    "Jake... I.."

    "You should really work on yourself. It's not right for you to get me confused by making a move on me and blowing me off anytime you do that. You use my feelings for your personal interest and that's not cool."

     "I'm sorry Jake. I.."

     "So what? We're back to being friends after last night? I.. love you and I don't want to be this kind of guy for you. I'm sorry too." He stood up and left her here. Dawn ran to her and sat in front of her.

     "It didn't go well?" She asked and Alicia nodded.
"Why did you lead him on? You always lead him on. You were the first to kiss him on the first day you met him and you give him signs when you two are alone. Stop doing that to him."

     "I'm a bitch."

     "You're right about that." She laughed and went back to her work. Alicia picked up her purse to walk around and clear her head. She didn't like Jake that much. She wanted him to be her friend. Was it something she shouldn't wish for? Her phone beeped and she picked it up, reading Theo's message.

Theo
You might bump into someone again if you keep your head down. Turn around.

      She turned around and he was standing by the pillar, waving his phone at her. "Theodore." He smiled. "What are you doing here?" She walked towards him.

     "I come around sometimes. I was about calling you. You look gloom."

     "Yeah, my head is pretty messed up now."

     "Thinking about coming back to work?" She grinned. "Come on Alicia. I don't want someone else working for me. We kind of vibe and I really hate to let you go. I've my car park somewhere. Do you mind showing me around?"

     "Of course." She smiled and they walked to his car.

    "I don't want you to feel awkward with me. We're not working right now. We're friends here and I'm not your boss."

     "Okay. I'll try."

      It was all a friendly walk and a friendly drive. There were slight touches with the hand and she was freaking out. It was cute when he smiles and sexy when he laughs at her corniness. She assured him she was going to start working, besides she needed that money and it was nice being with him. Theodore pecked on her cheeks after the drive. She couldn't move for seconds in her seat and blinked like a fool. He laughed at her stupid self and she cleared her throat.

     "See you on Monday Ali." He said.

    "Uh... okay." She waved at him and stepped down in front of the Inn. He waved back at her and drove away. Dawn was coming out of the Inn with Cole. She just lost a bet. "Hey," she said.

    "Where were you? Jake came back looking for you. I think he went home."

    "Okay. I'll go see him." She turned to leave. They needed to be alone. Cole and Dawn watched Alicia leave and Dawn stared at him.

    "Nice talking to you." She said.

    "Are you scared of me or something?" She shook her head. "I think you are. Let me just take you home. You look tired."

    "No, I'm okay Cole."

     "I've been given some orders. I'm sorry, I can't let you go home alone."

    "From who?"

    "Uh.." he laughed. "Can't tell you that. Come with me. Got something for you when I get you home."

     "Okay." Dawn sat in his car with him and she chose to stay silent. She did not understand his sudden generosity towards her. She noticed how he had been staring at her too. They arrrived at her apartment and Cole reached for something in his pocket. It was a small gift box. He handed it to her and waited for her reaction.

     The gift card said 'From Ryan' and she teared up. She opened the box and in it was the golden necklace he promised to give to her. She wiped off her tears and smiled. "I miss him." She mumbled and wiped another tear off. Cole held her hand and she looked at him.

     "He told me everything. It's not your fault that happened to him. He wanted this too." She nodded and wiped off her tears. She breathed out a sigh and Ryan's smiling face made her smile. She wished she could get over him. She wished she could stop loving him.

•_•_•

      Alicia got to Jake's apartment and slowly opened the door. She entered and he got up from the chair, coming towards her. He stopped in front of her and he looked at her with that yearn. "I'm sorry." He said. "I know you're having a hard time. I shouldn't have gotten mad at you."

     "It's okay..." his lips touched her and he pulled her closer. If he kept kissing her like that, she was going to ask him to marry her. He was good at this and again, she loosened herself for him. She pulled his shirt off and his crazy kisses, sent them to the couch.

Just one more sex.

     Alicia didn't run away this time. She waited after fucking with him so they could really talk about what was going on. He made breakfast that morning and they ate without talking. He stopped eating and looked at her. "Why do I feel like this is going to keep happening if we stay close? Things have changed now and you have a girlfriend."

    "I don't. I only said that so you feel safe here."

    "Okay I think I like having sex with you but I'm not sure we could be together."

    "I know. We can keep this going if it's okay with you." She groaned over the food and kept her face in her palm. "I'm not asking you to love me." He laughed. "You still haven't gotten over him. I'm just doing us some favors. We'll get horny sometimes and if you can't help it, I'll be here to help. What do they call it? Friends with benefit?"

    "That? We're going to do that?"

    "Isn't it convenient?"

    "I think so." She sighed. "But hey, we're both single so fuck it. I'm in."

     Reasons why she liked Jake, he made things so simple.