(144).

"Break It Off"

       In the early morning's call, day lights brightened every corners of the big room. Maxwell smiled from ear to ear as he watched Alicia sleep naked on his bed with duvets half covering her. He had expected her to be gone when he wakes up and she was still there with him like they used to be.

       "Ali," he called out her name in a whisper not expecting her to hear. He had promised himself not to ever call that name and seeing her sleeping on his bed, it took a different turn. His stubborn self led them into an unforgettable night and for heaven's sake, he would do it again if he was given the chance.

       Alicia opened her eyes in the silent room and her big blue eyes met with his. She stretched her hand towards him, touched his face and rubbed on his ear. She wasn't saying a word out. She just stared at him as she continually touched him. Maxwell held her hand to stop her and she sighed. Alicia let go off his hand and sat up on the bed, leaning on the headboard. "So," she said. "I uh..."

       "You don't have to say a word." Maxwell said to her and she nodded her head. He wished she would tell him she was done with Theodore. This had to be the reason she came to him.

       "Are you not mad at me?" Alicia asked.

       "How many times are you going to ask me this question Alicia? I told you I'm not mad at you." Maxwell said.

      "Okay then, I have to... get home before Theo comes back." She bit on her lower lips and Maxwell's mood dropped. He sat up on the bed and looked at her.

      "You're still with him?"

      "Obviously." She answered with an eye roll.

      "And we're just..." he paused for breath. "Just whatever that was?" He asked and she didn't let a word out. "Why do I always let you in?"

      "We can still see each other."

       "So what? I'm your side nigga now?" She stayed silent again and Maxwell got up from the bed. "I can't believe this." He put on his shorts and looked at her. "Now can you get the fuck out of my house?" Alicia bowed her head in her palms and sighed heavily. "Alicia, don't make me throw you out. Respectfully get the fuck out of my house!"

       "Max we can talk about this..."

      "Yeah we can! Break it off with him if you still want me like you said you do! Make me feel like you really want to be with me Alicia! For fuck's sake I'm tired of being a fool for you. I do shit I never want to do when you're around me. I just cheated on my girlfriend with you and you don't give a damn fuck about my feelings like always!" Maxwell burst out on her. Alicia stood up from the bed and picked up her clothes. She put on her clothes and Maxwell took in a deep breath. "Alicia I swear to God, if you leave, this will be the last time."

      "I'm sorry. I cannot divorce my husband." Alicia voiced out.

       "Your..." he gulped at the ache in his heart. "Your husband?" He asked. "Did you just..."

       "I do not expect you to understand. I thought we both wanted the same thing. I'm married and you have a girlfriend. It's clearly not what you wanted from me so I'll just leave." Alicia said to him and Maxwell watched her leave. Maxwell sat down on the bed and he laughed at himself for being another fool in her life. The hurt that comes along with feeling rejected by her was massive enough to ruin him. He hated that part of him that always goes for her.

•_•_•

        Maxwell returned to work on Monday, feeling down for the bad decision he had made on the weekend. He walked straight to his office upon arrival and he sat down in his chair, trying to get busy. All that eluded his thick head was the sex with Alicia. He should've known it was too good to be true. Maxwell went ahead to perform his duties as the head of the CORA brand. He attended the regular meeting with his employees and the only person missing in the meeting room was Shelby.