Chapter 30

Cassie

"Miss Harris I wasn't aware we were paying you to be on the phone? Maybe I need to ask someone else to scrub in since you are obviously to busy." Dr. Miller scowls at me

Shit.

"No of course not I apologize it won't happen again I'm prepared for this." I say

"Let's hope Miss Harris. Don't make me regret this, I'll see you in the OR" she says walking away

I can't believe I got in trouble I've never gotten in trouble before. I can't mess this up this is my first time doing a C-section, I have been practicing all week. I have to get up there before she does. I practically run to the OR people are staring as I go but I don't care because I'm just focused on getting up stairs.

Once I get there I take a deep breathe to try and steady my breathing. I walk in and start scrubbing I once I've made certain that the surgical technicians have set up and that everything is ready to go.

Once I'm ready and Dr. Miller is inside with me I run the procedure through one more time before starting.

"Good evening Ms. Velazquez, how are you feeling?" I ask the patient

"A little anxious but ready to meet my baby girl" she says nervously

" You'll have her in your arms soon, I'm going to begin" I say in a calm manner

I start by asking the surgical technician for an Allis clamp to make sure my patient has been properly anesthetized and she won't feel anything. Once I determine that she can't feel anything after pinching her skin I proceed to begin the cesarean. I make a horizontal incision on her lower abdomen, I cut through multiple layers of skin being careful to not cut the fetus. I make sure my assisting surgeon is cauterizing any bleeders so I can have a visible field. Once I reach the uterus I proceed to suction amniotic fluid to make room for my hands to pull the fetus out.

I then see the fetuses legs which is why she is here, her baby never flipped. I then place the forceps on the lower part of her incision to make more space for the fetus. I maneuver the baby back and forth to help her be born, once she's out I suction her nose and mouth for fluids. I make sure the umbilical cord is not entangled as I pull the fetus and I press the upper abdomen to push out the placenta and fluids. Once the father cuts the umbilical cord we put the fetus on skin to skin contact with the mother and then take her to the warmer to get examined and cleaned.

My assistant surgeon makes sure she is weighed and measured while I begin the cleaning and repairing of the uterus. The placenta is examined while I suture and lastly staple the last layer of her incision. I bandage it and then give instruction for the post operative care to ensure the mother is taken care of. Once the mother is taken to her room I let out a huge sigh of relief. I did it! I was able to get it done with no complications and no help.

"Well done doctor make sure you overlook her post op" Dr.Miller says and then leaves

"Oh my Gosh I actually did that!" I say to one of the scrub nurses

For the next hour I just make sure her vitals are normal and her bleeding is not excessive. I speak with her RN and make sure she is looking for her bowl movement and that her wound doesn't become infected. After speaking to her nurse I go to the locker room and call Lily to let her know how it went.

"We have to celebrate it's tradition after each new successful surgery" she yells into the phone

"Yes we do. How does 5pm sound?"

"Aren't you out in the morning why can't we just go then?" She asks

"I'm hanging out with a friend. No I'm not giving details now I gotta go bye!" I say quickly before she can say anything

To avoid any trouble I leave my phone in my locker and go back to finish my shift. Just before I turn to leave I hear my phone vibrate and I know it's Lily digging for answers but she's going to have to wait because even I don't know what to expect. The last thing I need is an interrogation when I don't even know what is going on.

I'm in for a long night of wonder.

* I want to thank everyone for continuing to read my story and vote for it I'm eternally grateful!!
@jay4pg2
@prigelSukmawati
@hafsahajiya
@billybob210
Thank you for your continued support.