Chapter 26: Death's departure

<Notes at the end, pictures too. So stick around for that!>

Cub felt the gravel road before he felt the pain. But as soon as he felt the pain set in it was unbearable, the feeling reminding him of both being burnt in lava and breaking every bone in his body all at once. He could feel the pain spreading from his abdomen and it hit him that this must be a special tipped arrow. As he shifted the arrow head moved too, the spreading must be because of that.

In a split moment he made a decision he'd be thankful for in the long run, but he'd hate himself for it at the moment. He centered himself and ripped the arrow out quickly like a bandaid. An unholy scream left Cub's mouth, the first time he'd made a sound other then groaning since he'd been shot.

The effects of the weird poison halted almost immediately, the pain was still there but it wasn't as intense and it had been, it also stopped spreading. It wasn't good, but it sure as hell was an improvement from a few seconds ago.

Now that the pain was numbing he could focus on everything around him. He felt familiar arms cradling him gently. That was Scar, and if he focused he could hear the brunette's whispered promise of being safe and getting healed. Cub liked the idea of getting healed, the pain he was feeling was horrible even now. He tried to convey this by saying 'Healing please' but all he managed was a gurgled that vaguely sounded like words.

Scar immediately hushed him, his scarred hand taking one of Cub's bloodied hands in it, "Shh, don't say anything Love, just relax and we'll take care of you."

"Can someone get a healer or something?! I'd rather like my boyfriend with all his blood remaining inside his body thank you very much!" Scar's voice quieted a bit, as if he had been previously facing him and was now not doing that.

His eyes finally focused, and all the blurred shapes he didn't even know he was seeing returned to focus. Scar was hovering over him and his head was gently resting in the cowboys lap. Hovering over Scar's shoulder was Joe, his glasses where a little crooked on his face and his eyes were shining with worry. Cub angled his face to look away from the two, he could then see two shapes headed back in the Void family house. Probably to get someone to heal him, so the two shapes must of been EX and X then he concluded. A bit in front of him stood the rest of the Hermits, he guessed that they hades moved to much from when he was shot so that must be where the battle took place.

He furrowed his brows as he looked closer, something was off. Suddenly it hit him and he rasped out; "Where's Alastor? And Grian! Where are they?"

A gentle voice gently shushed him, "Don't worry about them right now, you need to focus on yourself at the moment."

Cub looked up to meet with the kind face of Xavion Void. He hadn't even noticed EX and X returning with their father, he must have really been lost in thought then. His senses were amplified when in Vex form, which judging by his still clawed hands he still was in, so sneaking up on him would be almost impossible. Guess the mind truly was a dangerous weapon.

"Do you mind if I look at your wound for a moment?" Asked Xavion, lazily motioning to the wound that was still on Cub's abdomen, though it had started slowly closing and the bleeding had stopped.

The wounded Vex gave a small nod, and he moved himself into a position that allowed the healer the best access to the wound without making it uncomfortable for either of them.

It only took a few minutes and two potions to heal the wound. Don't get him wrong, it still hurt, but he wasn't lying around with an open wound anymore. And seeing as he was mostly healed now Cub decided to gently sit up, with assistance from Scar of course.