Chapter 44: Oh simple thing, where have you gone?

It was like a camera flash that the EVO and Hermit group woke up, their surroundings suddenly changing from standing in a black room to laying in a damp cell. Ren pinched the person closest to him, which just happens to be Stress, to see if they were really awak. And if the light slap he got back was any indication was anything to go by it seemed like they were. Completely ignoring the slap he looked around excitedly, hoping that Doc was still here. He didn't find Doc, but he did find a boy laying a little ways from their cell. "Om my god!"

His loud shout made the others snap their heads to him, and they then turned to what his gaze was fixated on. And they too let out curses at seeing the body. It was Cub who identified the body, which was a hard task due to all the blood that was everywhere. "My lord, it's Alastor!"

"What?" Wheezed Scar, crawling to his boyfriends side to look at the body properly himself. "Holy-it is! What the hell happened here?"

Muttering spread among the group behind them, everyone throwing in their two cents on what had caused Alastor's demise. "Well whatever did it wasn't human." Noted Cub, looking at the bloody prints around the body.

"And it wasn't very good at killing either." Said Scar, making everyone look at him in confusion. But the Vex only pointed at Alastor. "Look at his chest, he's still breathing."

All eyes now turned to the body to look for themselves. And sure enough, his chest was still rising and falling. It was slow, dangerously so, but it was still there. It was by now that Iskall had noticed the figure watching them from a few cells over, his eye narrowed when he saw it just tilt its head to the side and let out a barely hearable coo. "Hey! Do you know what happened here?"

"The wolf was attacked" Said the figure, which got the attention of everyone.

Iskall rolled his eyes. "No kidding. I meant who -or what- attacked him?"

"And is it still here?" Asked Taurtis, tapping his fingers together nervously.

"Rook? Oh yes, he's still within the castle walls." The figure then lent forward, which revealed the feather face of Varity (not that anyone here knew their name). "Though the wolf won't be here for much longer."

"Good." Growled Scar, eyes flashing a pale blue as he glared at the dying man outside their cell.

"But is it really?" Questioned Varity, eyes looking intently at Scar. "Is his death really the desired outcome?"

The terraformer looked at the owl with eyes still narrowed, though more confused instead of angry like they'd been when he'd been glaring at Alastor. "What?"

Behind Scar EX let out a tired sigh. "Honestly people! The owl is trying to tell you to save the bastard's life!"

"But why?" Asked Jevin, looking around confused. "Why do we want him alive? He's already tried to, and nearly succeeded in killing Cub!" Scar held onto his boyfriend's arm at the reminder of Cub getting shot.

"He knows things you don't." Was their answer. And as much as they wanted to argue against it, they couldn't help but admit that Varity had a point. "Plus the only way I'm letting you leave is if you heal him."

Dead silence. Unimpressed eyes glared over at the trapped avian. The owl simply laughed and cooed out, "A life for I life seems fair, wouldn't you agree?"

"Who's life for his?" Asked Wels, not wanting to go along with this unless he was given a good reason too.

"Why, the person you all came here for."

"Grian." Mumbo gasped out. Varity nodded at him. "Exactly! You save Alastor and your chances to get Grian back goes up, plus he wants to kill Fallacy just as much as you do."