Chapter 42: Silvertonged devil

When I was young, I was afraid of the shadows.

A young ebony haired boy sat huddled against the headboard of his massive bed, a soft yellow cotton wrapped tightly around his shoulders as his bed sheets pooled around his waist. It was dark in his room, almost no light coming from the window to his right.

Yellow-green eyes darted around the room rapidly, never focusing on one place for longer than a second or two. A sudden crack of lightning made his wide eyes snap to the window. When he saw nothing he just burrowed deeper into his blanket.

I was told it had no mercy, only serving to be everyone's enemy.

The same boy was now sitting at a massive table full of food, his family around him. They all talked and laughed as if there hadn't been a thundering storm just a few hours earlier, though they had all probably just slept through it unlike him.

He was near falling asleep in a heap at the table, but powered through it. If he finished eating he could go to bed, plus he would fall asleep with a belly full of food too.

For years I believed it to be true.

The boy was now an adult, hair longer and features more sharp. He was also now away from his family, in a server with the few friends he had. They weren't many, but they were content.

Here he could make and create as he pleased, quickly picking up the arts of potions and magic. He didn't even know he had magic to begin with! Man, this was going to be so much fun!

Even as I grew and learnt, I was afraid.

The man was no longer a human. He was now a tall creature in robes with skin like the galaxy, and he had wings in his back that was much the same color as his skin. Though his feet, hands and tail (which was a great surprise to him, more than anything else for some weird reason) all tapered off into dark void black.

"What am I?" He'd asked the beings, who looked just like him just different shades and colors, who's brought him here.

"You are a Watcher. One of many galaxies in the endless Universe. And you will now help protect the people in it. So welcome, Null, to the Watchers."

But I now know the truth.

A dull green Watcher excitedly walked up to Null, their winged ears flapping excitedly. "Have you heard? Ruby and their mate have picked up a youngling to train!"

Null, who was a bright shade of yellow, blinked at the other. "Ruby and Pike? Huh, I didn't expect that."

The green Watcher frowned -somehow managing to do it even without a mouth. "Why aren't you reacting to this, Null? This is a big moment-one of the primaries has chosen someone! This is some of the biggest news we've had in centuries!"

"I get it Leaf!" Said Null before Leaf could start talking again. "I just don't really get impressed without seeing it for myself."

"Then we have to go see it!" So in a second the two Watchers were standing at the entrance to a room with chatter leaking out even with the heavy doors being closed. Leaf opened them which just blasted Null with sound. The green Watcher then grabbed the others arm and dragged him to a free space where they could stand and watch.

It didn't take long for a hush to fall over the crowd as Sapphire, the first Watcher to have ever existed, walked in with their fellow primaris Topaz and Ruby close behind. Walking by Ruby's side was a short human male with dirty blond hair. He didn't seem like anything particular, perhaps a builder or something? But there must be something there, seeing as he'd been picked by Ruby themselves.