Chapter 62: Eyes of violet

Death stood in front of Fallacy, figure tense with rage as they looked up at the deity. Their hood had been knocked down and part of the left side of the skull mask had broken off, revealing decade and withered skin, and an empty socket of an eye staring up at the serpent.

"Why hello." Purred Fallacy, amusement shining in their eyes, "What brings someone, such as yourself, down to my little world?"

"Where is he?" Growled Death as an answer, gray magic swirling and crackling around them as they spoke. Wordlessly Fallacy looked over their shoulder, eyes traveling to the battle happening behind the Horsemen, and Death followed their gaze.

For a few moments it was completely still, no one moving an inch, and then in less then a second a small dark shape hurled at Fallacy, and accompanied by the sound of something shattering, it connected with its target.

Rodger looked at Fallacy in shock. Actually he was looking at the javelin piercing the snake's chest, the head of the weapon being the thing that had shattered the gem Fallacy used to fasten their cape. The deity themselves even let out a surprised puff of breath, clearly not expecting the aggressive attack either.

"Really?" They cackled, wheezing a bit due to the javelin still in their chest, "Have you really grown so close to this child that you'll act like War? How utterly pathetic of you. Honestly, you should know loving a mortal is nothing more than a hindrance, a waste of good time."

Death let out another growl, but didn't raise to their bait. "Call me pathetic all you want, Fallacy, that will not change how this day will end."

"Of course not." Draweld the deity sarcastically, hand toying with part of the shattered topaz that had fallen onto the arms of the throne. "Just as your arrival will have no effect on what my dear Rook will do."

"He's not yours." Hissed Death.

"Well he's not yours either."

That made the dark clad being freeze, their body still in a half turned position. A heavy silence fell over them, with Rodger looking up at Death with wide eyes as the oldest horsemen stared blankly at the ground. Finally they looked away, out towards where Rook was still trying to get to Iskall, "You say that as if it will stop me from loving him like he is." With -or what Rodger assumed was- a glare Death looked back at Fallacy, "Because your lies and twisted truths be damned, that's my kid."

Death then marched away, heading straight for Rook. Leaving Fallacy stuck to the throne. And even as they got far away, the deity did not try to remove the javelin in their chest. And after a few minutes of silence Rodger finally spoke up about it, "Why aren't you removing the weapon?"

Fallacy shrugged, though only so that you could barely tell that's what it was, "Simply put, this is not a weapon you want to take out yourself. Plus I have no need to move away from here, so I do not see why I should do so." They then motioned to someone on the opposite side of them and the cage, "Null, would you be so kind as to cover up our little pets here? They don't need to see anymore."

Rodger's indignant cry was cut off by a black, blanket-like wall falling over the cage. But right before it fully closed the robot spotted this "Null" as red locked with red, and then it snapped shut. The dark haired android huffed, a glare directed at the black walls that now surrounded him, but stayed where he was. He already knew there was nothing he could do to break those walls. Settling down he glazed over at Markus and NPG, sadness sparking inside of him. Blinking he brought them into his arms, silently thanking Grian for making him able to change his outer temperature, holding on to them in a tight embrace.

-----------

Death's unbeating heart ached as they approached Rook, their hands shaking as they summoned magic within them.

"What have they done to you little one?" They whispered, their voice little more than a breath of air with how light the words had been said. As they got closer people started to notice them, mainly Doc.

"Death! He's in there, he reacted to Iskall's scream, he's still there!" He sounded so desperate, yet also so hopeful. And Death found themselves sympathising with the emotions, though they pushed it down for now. They had a dragon to restrain.

Striding forward they made sure to make loud sounds, hoping to draw Rook's attention onto them. And much like they wanted, he did, head snapping towards them, fire sissling as it licked at the sides of Rook's maw. He let out at a deep growl, claws digging into the ground as he sized up his new opponent. But before he could even move a muscle ice shot out of the ground, trapping the hulking dragon in place.

Death calmly walked up towards Rook, steps even and assured, yet light and graceful even then. They were just a few steps away when a sudden crack filled the air, and before anyone had even realized it was the sound of ice breaking Death had been flung away. Doc stepped in front of Ren, slowly backing them both away, and many others followed his lead.

Rook shook the last of the ice off of himself, claws flexing to dislodge the flecks still on his legs. Had he not heard the scream earlier he would have taken chase on the one who attacked him, but since he had heard it he turned the other way. Running instead towards the source of this entire situation. And in just a few bounds he was there, the dual shapes of Mumbo and Iskall just a few steps away.

A sorrowful coo left him as he laid eyes on the Swede, his senses being filled with the smell of despair, fear, and blood. He took a few careful steps forward, slowly moving closer, until he was within reaching range. Leaning down, Rook nosed at Iskall's arm, the one that had been hurt, the barely there scent of burnt flesh hitting his nostrils. With a sad growl he moved from the unconscious man to the one who was still awake. When they met face to face they stayed for a couple of seconds, just looking at each other in silence. Until Mumbo eventually reached out with an arm slowly and, with a shaking hand placed it on Rook's snout, not looking away from the Dragon's eyes once.

"You came back," Mumbo breathed, his wide eyes filling with fresh tears, "You actually came back to us."

He knew his boyfriend was back, or the thing that Rook had been was at least gone, because he was not looking into the icy blue eyes of the person who he'd seen back in Glaella. No, he was looking into the beautiful violet ones of the man he loved.

He was looking into Grian's eyes.

< :3 Anyways, this was a fun chapter to make! Death is always a treat to write about, and even more fun now that they have a design (part of which you got to see (read but whatever) at the top). And yeah I think that's all I wanted to talk about? Yeah it is. 

So stay safe and have a wonderful time everyone!>