Chapter 64: Pawn, King, and Rook pt.1

Rook shot up with a strangled cry, and instantly his eyes flew down to his chest as he thought about the spear that had just been impeded there. But he blinked in surprise as he saw, not his scaled undside - or any scales at all actually, but what looked to be a human chest covered by a type of vest. Seeing that he quickly took inventory of the rest of his body, eyes wide as his hands flew all over.

Okay, so his hands were still dragon like, so were his feet. He still had his wings, tail, and ears (earrings included, but very shattered), but everything else was not him. Short, soft, hair. Skin instead of scales. A human shape, it was all just so weird.

Maybe this is who Grian is, he thought mutely, remembering how he'd been called that name before. Was...was he Grian? No, no that couldn't be it, no way could he be Grian! If he was then he would have known who all those people were. But he did recognize them, a traitorous part of his mind whispered, he knew who they were and he felt for them. He hadn't felt anything for anyone before. Actually, he hadn't thought at all until he saw them.

Rook was pulled out of his existential crisis when the scenery around him changed, turning into a hospital room. Scrambling to his feet he looked around, eyes landing on a man and woman, the woman in a bed and holding something in her arms. The man looked nearly identical to how he looked now, though his face was shaper and his hair longer, and of course his eyes that were as red as rubies. The woman had long, tussled, platinum blond hair, and eyes a deep violet, just like his own Rook thought, pieces fitting into place. These were his parents, or Grian's parents at least.

"I have thought of a name, and don't worry I've stuck to your family traditions." The woman said with a teasing tone, eyes sparkling even through the exhaustion both in them and on her face.

The man laughed, "I wasn't worried about that dear, my mother isn't here to hound us about the traditions." He brushed a few strands of hair away from her face lovingly, eyes traveling down to the bundle in her arms, "Though do feel free to save my ass later and say it."

"Xenagoras Void!" She cried with mock outrage, "Do not swear in front of our son! Goodness knows Xeres learning half a curse is enough, we don't need you tainting yet another poor soul!"

Xenagoras pouted, a huff leaving him, "Hey! It's only half my fault he started saying that, the rest is all Lina!"

The woman gave her husband a disapproving look, but didn't argue further, "I picked the name Xelqua. I was thinking you'd get to pick his middle name."

"How gracious of you, Queen Alexia, to let me give this wonder a middle name." Grinned Xenagoras, hand moving the bundle so that a baby's sleeping face was uncovered, "Well since I've been so graciously given this chance I name him Asher."

Alexia gently ran her fingers over the baby's cheek, lovingly shining in her violet eyes, "Xelqua Asher Void, you will do great things one day, my son."

"He will." Her husband agreed, placing his hands over her own, "He'll be our little shining star."

Rook had no time to process what he'd just seen before the hospital room faded into a backyard full of people. Xenagoras was standing next to another man, they looked like related in some way, probably brothers. Alexia was sitting with, who he now was pretty sure was a baby version of him, in her arms, two young boys standing on either side of her.

"Has he said anything yet?" The brunette boys asked, big green eyes looking up at the baby in wonder.

"Not yet." Smiled Alexia, "But we're talking to him a lot, so we're hoping he'll start saying things soon."