Chapter 61: Scream

Mumbo and Iskall ran as a rain of purple fire fell over them, desperate to get as far away from the massive dragon and the battle that would soon bloom. Xiusma went to stand in front of them so that if Rook focused them he could give them a better chance to run. But they were in luck as he instead focused the group closer to himself, obsidian like claws swiping at anyone getting to close. Mumbo refused to turn around at the sound of a totem going off, knowing if he stayed to look he wouldn't be able to look away again. Iskall noticed this and fell in step slightly behind him, keeping it up so that the taller continued walking forward. But the Swede couldn't help but look back himself, the sounds just tempting him to look back too much.

Parts of the ground were bathed in the deep purple fire Rook had breathed, lighting up said dragon from the underside and making the dark scales shimmer and shine in the purple light, it also made the armor everyone was wearing light up as well. But he was not drawn to the ground, and instead his eyes were in the sky - on Impulse. The dragon hybrid was flying around Rook in circles, doing his best to avoid jets of fire and the massive jaws snapping at him. But since the brunet was so focused on the head he didn't notice the tail until it came down on him like a whip, and with a crack he fell. Zedaph ran towards the falling man, but wasn't fast enough to reach him before he smacked into the ground in a flurry of green and gold. Tango created a distraction, aka throwing fire in Rook's face, to let the shorter blonde retrieve the fallen Hermit relatively safely. Sadly no one had time to help Impulse, more than the small chekup Zedaph and Tango did, due to standing still being a death sentence.

"Don't look back." Iskall grounded out, voice cracking slightly as he blinked back tears. Mumbo protested, now very interested to look at what was happening, but Iskall forced how to continue walking away, "I mean it Mumbo, don't look. Please, please don't." And Mumbo dropped it, because as oblivious as he could be it took no keen eye to tell he wouldn't like turning around.

Back out in the battle everyone was doing their best to restrain or knock Rook out, but the rope was snapped and their attacks just licked the thick scales harmlessly. Though a weird pattern they'd noticed is that he tended to avoid attacking some of them. But only some of them, only the- "Evolutionists." Breathed Tango, small puffs of fire and ember escaping his mouth. Cub, who was fighting by his side at the moment, looked at him weirdly, "What do you mean? What do they have to do with anything?"

"Look at them! He's not hurting them, any of them!" The bearded Hermit turned to look for himself, and true to his words the EVO crew were all unharmed and not being attacked. "By the Vex, your right! But why isn't he attacking them?"

The fire elemental shrugged, "Your guess is as good as mine." Noticing purple coming at them from the corner of his eyes he raised his hand, a wall of fire following up with it. It didn't fully stop the attack, but it did protect them from the brunt of it. "But I think this is something we could use. I'm the faster of the two of us, think you can keep him away from me?" Cub gave the blonde a nod, Vex magic already crackling at his fingertips in bright sparks. Once the fire had fully stopped Tango threw the shield down and bolted, this naturally caught Rook's attention but with one well aimed shot Cub took it on himself. This gave Tango all the time he needed and soon he spread it to a point where the message could be sent on without him having to run like a madman all over the place.

Whilst this was going on Iskall and Mumbo ran into Cub. They were a bit surprised to see him so far away, but after noticing him weaving a complicated magical rune in the air they brushed it off as him preparing a spell of some sort in a safer place. And seeing as he's here it must be a safe place. Iskall once more turned back to the battle and was relieved to find it was going better then when he last saw it. He looked over the field, counting to see if everyone was there when he saw Cub, fighting side by side with Scar. For a second he thought Cub had teleported when he wasn't looking, but straining his ears he heard the breathing of two people near him. He whirls around and manages to shout out: "Mumbo look out! That's not Cub!" before a sword is swung into right below his shoulder.