Chapter 68: Son of Death

Grian turned away from the moon and looked out at the world, still illuminated by the moon that now slowly fell down the sky. Watchers of all colors and types were walking around, riling up all the Shadows that originally had come to stand by Fallacy's side - which in the end has ended up being the thing to bring them down. For beings who had the motto 'Stand as one win alone' they really didn't get the whole "every man for himself" mentality of it.

He felt when someone moved next to him, and he also recognized who it was. Why wouldn't he? The presence of a primary is very distinct after all.

"It's good to see you again Quill." Ruby said, tone light and airy, "Though I do wish it would have been nicer than this."

"I'll try not to get kidnapped and mind controlled in the future." Grian dryly joked, it didn't really come out like he has wanted it to but oh well.

Ruby at least humord him with a chuckle, "Yes, you see to that." They sneaked a glance up at him, and Grian met their gaze halfway, "I fear we might not see you again if such a thing were to happen."

"Why not?" Wondered Grian, truly curious as to what his old mentor was speaking about.

Ruby sadly looked up at him, a black hand coming up to rest in his side, "You may be a former Watcher, as well as a member of the Void family, but that does not make you immune. Mind control is not just something you just shake off like it says in stories and myths, no it's a long recovery and a hard road. Most can't bear it. And well, their journey ends with them taking the quick route out."

"Death." Grian mummers quietly.

"The saddest one of them all." Ruby sadly confirms, "One seen far too often."

There was a story somewhere in there, but Grian was not going to push. Today was not the day for such things. It was a celebration of freedom and peace, of chains shattering once and for all. They both knew that, and they also knew that today was not a day for chat of the good old times or to reacquaint with each other. So with a goodbye the old mentor and mentee parted ways once again, each heading back to their own people.

Grian sees EX and the rest of the Hermits by the covered cage and the memories of who were beneath the cloth fills his bones with the need to run, so he follows it. Powerful legs making his sprint there short, much to his liking. As soon as he was close he snapped his maw forward, catching the dark fabric between his sharp teeth, and yanked backwards with his head successfully throwing the cloth off.

The three figures hidden within instantly cowered at the light that now covered them. While it might only be moonlight from a not so bright moon it was still a lot brighter than the complete and utter darkness they'd been trapped in before. All three were awake and looking up at this massive dragon they'd only briefly seen by Fallacy's side, eyes wide with fear and stances frozen. Grian tried to claw at the bars, to break them, but when Markus flinched he instantly stopped. He cooed at the younger in a soothing manner, but that didn't work either.

"Let me." He turned to see EX, red eyes shining with sympathy as he motioned towards the bars, "I'll talk to them."

"Please." Grian pleaded, stepping away from the cage he let his cousin get to work. There was no point with him staying and making the three scared for no reason.

Plus he had to talk to someone anyways. Someone he hadn't talked to in so long. A black cloak appeared out of the corner of his eye, perfectly timed. He turned himself around and walked those last few steps slowly, the high of killing Fallacy slowly fading away.

Death looked up as they saw the shadow on the ground grow bigger, and their eyes instantly softened as they met the violet ones of Grian's. "Hello little one, it's good to see you again."