Chapter 49: Going up

An entire day had gone by and they weren't even up five floors, that was what Iskall bitterly thought as he sat leaned against smooth colored sandstone. They would have flown on Impulse to the top, but it seems like Famine, or whoever built the temple, had thought ahead and built a magic barrier to keep flying beings away.

"Well at least we know where to go!" Zee had argued, trying to see the best of the situation.

"Yeah, we now know we have to travel the entire length of the temple on foot. So great!" False had sarcastically bit back, sneering up at the temple entrance before them.

One good thing they got from going through the tower was that they found a few potions, and that was about it. So they were all now resting on the fifth floor with a few potions in hand, which was just that tiny bit better from what their situation was like a few hours ago.

The Swede was about to close his eyes for an attempt to sleep when Mumbo spoke up from beside him. "Do you think Grian will forgive us?"

"What do you mean?" Asked Iskall, turning to look the taller in the face. As he did so he noticed the teary eyes and dark lined eyes.

Mumbo huffed out a shaky breath. "I mean, what have we really done to help, Isk? Everyone else has been doing everything, and what about us? What have we done?"

"We've done plenty!" The brunette argued, being careful as to not bother anyone else.

Mumbo looked at him with a "really?" expression on his face. "But have we really? I mean, all we've done is mourn and cry together about it whilst everyone else does everything! We have done nothing but be there and be quiet, we didn't even do anything when he was right in front of us." Tears were now silently streaking down Mumbo's pale face. "We didn't even notice that he was missing until everyone else did! We've been horrible boyfriends through all of this, so how could he ever possibly forgive us?"

"Would you forgive him?"

Both of them turned to see Pearl standing a few feet away from them. When they both remained silent she asked again, "Would you forgive him?"

"What do you mean?" Asked Mumbo, looking at her with furrowed brows.

She rolled her eyes before answering. "Would you forgive Grian if your roles were reversed?"

"Of course!" "Why wouldn't I?" They coursed, not missing even half a beat before answering.

"So what makes you think he wouldn't forgive you? You must realize he'll probably be madder that you're crying about this more than he'll be mad that you were both too emotionally distraught to do anything." She said, cyan eyes looking at the both of them intently.

The two of them opened their mouths to say something, but quited once they realized she was right. She saw this and smiled at them. "You get it now. Now here's a bit of advice for you both, use your self loathing to get better. Beat up the enemy instead of yourself. If you do this then I'll be even more sure Grian will forgive you." And with that she walked away, probably to go back to where she was sleeping for the night.

"I can get behind that." Iskall mumbled, and Mumbo hummed his own agreement. "Yeah, well I'm still not fully on board the "he'll forgive us easily" train, but I think this is a good way to get a ticket."

They laid down to sleep after that, arms securely held around the other as to keep any nightmares at bay. The next morning as they were walking up another floor the two walked up to thank Pearl for her advice last night.

As they thanked her she looked at them weirdly before saying, "Your welcome, but I didn't talk to the two of you last night?"

"You didn't?" A baffled Mumbo asked. "Then who did we see and talk to?"

"Anyone but me." The brunette said. "I'll go ask around, see if it was one of the others who did it." With that she walked off. Well towards the nearest person really, but you get my point.

Iskall looked at Mumbo with concern written all over his face. "She seems genuine. But like, if not her then who? Or did we both just fever dream it all up?"

Tango, who'd overheard them talking, spoke up, "I think it might have been the temple, or it's owner."

"How can you be so sure about that?" Asked Iskall, turning to look at the blond.

The fire elemental looked him dead in the eye before saying. "I think Death and Lady War has taught me enough of what the horsemen are like." He then took a sip of potion, you know, like it was coffee. "And this seems tame to some of the stories War told me before we left."

"She told you stories?" Mumbo wondered. "About what."

"I can never look at red leafed birch trees the same ever again." Was all he said, a shiver following his words as he seemingly remembered something he didn't want to. "Never again."

Their talk was suddenly interrupted by Scar calling out to them from further into the temple floor. The trio walked to where he and the others were, curiosity in their eyes as they got closer. "What's up?" Tango asked.

"Out ticket up." Scar breathed excitedly, eyes shining as he turned to address the three face to face. "Cub stumbled upon it randomly, but we think it might save us a lot of time." He then gave them a blinding smile. "It's a hole through all the floors to the top!"

"What will that help?" Iskall wondered before he looked at the holes himself and it came to him. "Nevermind, I figured it out."

"It's great, isn't it!" Smiled Impulse, happily bouncing up next to Tango. "We'll save so much time, plus we can still use our original plan!"

"That's great Impy, but two of us still don't know what you're all talking about." Tango said, though he did still rub his cheek against his brunette boyfriend's cheek when the dragon hybrid got close.

"I can fly us all to the top!" The redstoner happily exclaimed. "The hole is big enough, plus there is no barrier up there. Well there is, but that's just a normal roof/floor kind of barrier. We can reach the top within the day most likely!"

Iskall and Mumbo smiled at each other, joy shining in their eyes and smiles. They could reach the top, and then they'd get one step closer to Famine, one step closer to Grian... Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Also, just a quick heads up, the final floor is filled to the brim with puzzles. And it seems like we'll need to solve them to get to the final floor."

...They spoke too soon. 

<A little bit of team 2! Along with Mumskall talking about relationship stuff about Grian. Also, I would say sorry for this being late, but technically it isn't! You see since I've been stressing over getting this done on Mondays so much I've decided to give myself an extra day to get this out. This was done to hopefully reduce my own stress, which'll make writing an easier process for me.

And yeah, I think that's all! So stay safe and have a wonderful time everyone!>