Seven

Seven 

Seeing that there are only twenty minutes until Jasmine comes by, I scramble trying to clean the flat to make it look as neat and tidy as possible. There are dirty dishes all over the tables and counters, Ella's toys everywhere, my clothes scattered in random places, the pile of shoes messily placed besides the door, and the list continues. This place is a mess. 

"Fuck." I mutter under my breath. Realizing I swore, I look at Ella and see her paying attention to the TV making me sigh with relief. It would be horrible if she started swearing, it is one of my greatest fears. 

"Is Jazzy almost here?" Ella asks me. I bend down, arranging the shoes besides the door. 

"Yes, almost princess." I give her a smile before resuming my work.

I close my eyes, wincing slightly when I feel a throbbing pain starting to grow in my left temple. I hate it when people come over, it gives me so much stress cleaning up since this place is always so dirty. It's not totally my fault though always being tired coming home then having to take care of Ella, there's just no time to clean. I don't even have time for myself. 

I jog to the kitchen, stuffing the dishes in the dishwasher, starting it up in records time. I go to the living room next, arranging the pillows on the sofa, dusting the TV and picture frames, sweeping the floors and picking up the clutter all over the ground. I hear my phone ringing making me swear once again under my breath. I take out my phone from my pocket seeing Jasmine's name on the screen. 

"Hello?" I say, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear as I grab as much stuff in my hands, running to put them in the right places. 

"Yeah, I'm here in the lobby." I hear her say. I look at the clock and see she's early ten minutes. 

"I thought you would be late, to tell the truth." I chuckle, trying to joke and light up my mood. I hear her snort and I imagine her shaking her head. 

"Just buzz me in, will ya?" The line goes dead and I humorously smile, pressing the button on my phone to let her into the building. 

"She's here?" Ella asks, jumping down from the sofa smiling widely. 

"Yeah, she is." I quickly say, literally running around the flat. I enter the washroom and tidy the ground and sink, closing the curtains before going back to the kitchen to wash my hands. 

I hear a knock on my door making me swear for the third time in ten minutes. The pounding in my temples intensify making me groan as I walk to the door. I unlock the door and open it to see Jasmine standing there with her eyes lit up. The sight is odd since I've never seen her happy like that before, but I accept it and open the door wider. 

"Hey, thank you for coming." I smile, sincerely meaning my words. She gives me a sideways smile and nods. 

"It's no problem. Didn't have much to do anyways." She steps in, looking around and she slips off her combat boots. "Nice flat." She looks at me. 

"Thanks." I smile, closing the door. I feel awkward. Having Jasmine actually be nice to me is really odd and confusing. I feel as if I don't know what to do. 

"Jazzy!" Ella runs, hugging Jasmine's legs. 

"Hi Ella." Jasmine bends down to give my daughter a proper hug. The sight actually makes me smile. 

"Would you like something to eat or drink?" I ask Jasmine. She stands up and looks at me. 

"No thanks." 

"Come here, Jazzy. Let me show you my room." Ella grabs Jasmine's hand and drags the girl down the hallway. I have a sudden panic attack knowing that I didn't clean Ella's room. I bet it's a disaster.