Twenty-two

Twenty-two 

"Dada?" Ella asks peeling her eyes away from the TV.

"Yes, Princess." I say, smiling at her.

"Can we go shopping?" She asks, looking at me with pleading eyes. I raise my eyebrow up at her. 

"You have lots of clothes already." It's not that I don't want to buy Ella clothes. I would buy clothes for her everyday if I can to see her happy. But raising a daughter while living by yourself is a lot of money and expenses and I don't have that much money in my bank account. 

"But," She frowns looking down at her shirt. "All my shirts are small." She looks back up at me with her wide eyes. My brows dip down as I examine her shirt, seeing that her sleeves end a few inches above her wrist. 

"Oh." I say, surprised. 

"Also my pants are getting small." 

"Oh." I say, again surprised. "Okay, lets see your drawer." I say, instantly feeling bad for not noticing. I hope she didn't get teased at school about it. I get off from the sofa, following Ella into her room. She opens her drawer and pulls out a pair of jeans, handing it to me. 

"Small, dada." She pouts. I unfold it, holding it in front of her legs and indeed seeing that they are too short for her. I take out her other pair of pants also noticing the same problem. I check more of her clothes, lots of them being too small for her.

"I'm sorry, Ella." I run a hand through my hair. How can I be so oblivious to this kind of stuff. 

"It's okay, dada." Ella smiles and wraps her arms around me. I should be hugging her right now, but she is the one hugging me, probably seeing the distress on my face. I kiss her cheek. 

"Lets go shopping." I give her a smile. Ella's face brightens up and she jumps with excitement. 

"Okay, lets go!" She grabs my hand, trying to pull me towards the door. 

"Okay." I laugh. "Let me quickly get changed." 

"Hurry, dada."

"I'm going." I laugh and walk across the hall into my room. I close the door behind me and take off my sweats, grabbing my phone from my bed and dialing the first person who comes to mind. I just can't believe that I didn't notice her clothes are small! How can a parent not recognize that?

"Hello?" I hear her yawn. 

"Jasmine? Did I wake you?" I ask, looking at the clock to see it's past noon.

"You did actually, thanks." She says sarcastically and then laughs in the end. I roll my eyes and shake my head, a smile on my face. But the smile instantly disappears when I think back to the reason why I called her. I sigh. "Everything alright there?" She jokingly asks. 

"No." I grumble, sitting on my bed and putting my head in my hands. 

"What happened?" She says. I hear her get out of bed. 

"I feel like a horrible father right now." I sigh again, really hating myself for not noticing. 

"What did you do now?" 

"Seriously, Jaz." 

"Sorry, wrong time to joke. What happened?"

"Ella asked me to go shopping." I say. Jasmine laughs. 

"That's what's so bad?"

"Let me finish." Jasmine quickly apologizes. "She wanted to go shopping because she told me all her clothes are small on her. And they are. I went through most of her clothes and the majority of them are small. How did I not notice?! Ugh, I feel like a horrible father. Sometimes I feel like I am doing a horrible job being a dad and this is one of those times! I'm twenty-four for fuck sakes-"