13. I NEED YOU!

It was Monday, the first day of exams and also my so called engagement day. I woke up as usual, got ready and after breakfast took the bus to school. Nadeema finally came and I couldn't be more happier. At least there is something good in this day.

Nadeema and I wrote our first papers gracefully and enjoyed it. We loved the course we took and as nerds, acing a test was like second nature. We both loved school, well me more than Nadeema. After class we sat at our usual spot until my sister came to pick me up. She was let out of work sooner because we both needed to get ready for the engagement.

*****

The house was vibrant with guests from our side of the family poring thought the doors with gifts in their hands. Though it was just the engagement, our family can really take things overboard. I guess it was double the fuss since it would be double the engagement. However not alot of them stayed for the actual thing, they just came to help where possible. By the time the people of the hour came, only my aunt and uncle stayed to witness the engagement. The rest had stuff to do, but I was sure to see them at the weddings, for my sister atleast.

Before the magrib Athaan, Waseem's family came along with Omar's. He brought along his mother Zainab and sister Bisma who was a few months pregnant. She was probably a year older than me but married already. Proves the guy was evil. If his sister could get married at such a young age, what else could have taken him so long?

"Ayah? Such a pretty name for a pretty girl!" his mother Zainab said kissing my cheeks. Bisma also said something nice and I wondered which dump Omar was gotten from. He is nothing like his family. They were all so sweet and caring. By now I'd hoped Omar would have pulled the plug on the whole marriage thing, but it seemed he wasn't going to budge anytime soon.

The magrib Athaan was made by Waseem and Imam Zaid led us all in prayer. After the prayer he turned around and started conducting the ceremony. It was weird how with Waseem and Zayda he would ask them 'are you sure?' or ' do you give your consent' confirming their marriage and with Omar and I, he would just go with the flow. It seems he knew I was ready to refuse everything and put an end to this messy masterpiece Omar created. And just like that, we were engaged. Omar's mother put the ring on my left hand  as aunty Rhoda put one on Zayda's, while Imam Zaid put one on Waseen's hand and the other on Omar's hand. It seemed he had no father coming so Imam Zaid took the place of fatherly figure. What ever the story was there.

"Ayah and Zayda take the boys to the garden to have a word, while we set the table for supper." my mother said shoowing us out the back door.

Zayda led Waseem to the garden and I just walked to the balcony with Omar following behind me. I kept staring at the two love birds walking beside each other, talking and giggling . I wondered where I could get such love. It looked too good to be true. If ever I'd wanted to get married I'd like that to be the reason. Not the situation I was caught up in. This wasn't fair. But looking at them two, made it all worth it. I'd do anything for my sister's happiness, even if it costed me mine.

"Ehm..." Omar interrupted my thoughts by clearing his throat. He had been standing beside me as I ignored him.

"What?" I snapped still not acknowledging him.

"Nothing, I just figured you'd want to know the reason I pulled you into this."

" Please enlighten me!" I said sarcastically.

"I need you..." He hesitated.

"What?" I gasped in Schock. For what, and why me specifically? I looked at him with a confused look as I wasn't sure those words really came out of his mouth. A cold shiver went up my spine as he repeated those three words much more clearly as they echoed in my head.

"I need you..."

________________________________________________