20: SUCCESS?

"Nadeema!" I said softly.

He sighed loudly and took all the bags from the floor then walked away while stamping his feet making a thunderous noise with each step. I swore I shuddered in fear. I've never seen him so angry. I felt bad.

I decided to follow him. Not to console him, more like to find out the whole take on Nadeema and even butter him up on her. Finally declaring that our engagement was over and I, no longer needing to marry him. So long as Waseem and Zayda still get married. I'm sure he wouldn't stop them, we've already come so far. Plus Waseem is a big man and is well capable of making his own decisions. Seeing them lately, I've come to a conclusion that they were madly in love with each other to the point that no force on earth could ever come between them two. Not even Omar. So I was feeling very good about this.

He led us to the car and dropped the bags in the boot of his car.

"She's a nice girl, very mature and well capable of taking care of a family" I said hoping not to anger him more.

"And you're not?" He asked curiously and furiously.

"Not really, I burn food and I'm utterly lazy. I'd waste your time and life." I spoke seriously.

He looked at me for a few seconds, turned to face the car and leaned on it. He took a deep breath before facing me again.

"FINE!" He scolded putting emphasis on every letter. Wait... did he just agree? Am I off the hook? Am i free? I'm free! Oh alhamdulillah. Let me just make sure.

He got in his car furiously and I ran to his door before he closed it.

"Does this mean the wedding is off?" I asked.

He grunted then banged the door closed. Wait...is it off? I hope it is. I'm sure it is. I mean banging the door means yes right? No?

Just then Bisma and grandma came with a few more bags and got in the car. I sat in the passenger seat like before and Omar barely said a word. His grandma and sister chatted away their excitement about the wedding. Isn't he going to tell them? That it's over? Cancelled? Finito? Kaput? Omar just focused on the road with a weird look on his face. Anger? sadness? Excitement? Relief? Constepation? I couldn't tell.

He dropped me home and helped bring in the bags. After helping he got in his car and drove off without a word. It's over isn't it? Success?

*****

It was the day of the wedding and the house seemed more vibrant than ever. Nasheed poured out of every window as guests flooded the house with gifts and food. My henna was done 2 days ago and I was in my fancy wedding abaya for the nikkah. 2 hours to go until the blessed moment.

I was quite nervous to be honest. Firstly becouse my sister was finally getting married and going away from me and I don't know how I'd deal with that. Secondly I'm not sure if I'm getting married or not. I haven't spoken, nor seen Omar since that day i told him about Nadeema. I hoped he'd cancelled the wedding by now or told my mom that it's over. Rather my mom looked the most excited and happy which made me think other wise. Was he planning to humiliate me at the masjid by 'leaving me at the alter'? It's seen as a bad omen after all, and that would bring about a bad name in my family. But atleast my sister would have been married by then. And as for me, I could care less what happens to me.

Zayda and I were getting ready in her room. She wore the same as me but mine had silver sequin embellished and her's were gold. She looked stunning and as beautiful as ever. Our mother came to call us and helped us to get in the car.

The masjid was packed with family members from both sides. A double wedding of the century, they said. Or so they thought. Zayda and I were seated next to each other at the front row of the ladies section upsatirs. We sat right behind Imam Zaid from above and could barely see what was happening. Also becouse of the Vail they put over our faces.

After the lecture and advice about marriage Imam Zaid performed the nikka firstly on my sister.

"Qubool Hai!" Waseem said in the Mic.

"Qubool Hai" my sister said.

She did it. She's finally hitched. I was so happy. I could walk out and not feel a single regret. Alhamdulillah she was married.

Then it was my turn. A knot formed in my stomach and I felt like throwing up. What will happen.

Did he come?

Will he marry me or embarass me. Whatever the embarassment will be, I was ready for it. But still....

"Qubool Hai" his thunderous voice echoed through the room.

What?!

________________________________________________

Nikkah- Islamic wedding ceremony
Qubool Hai- "I accept"( constitutes a valid marriage)