11. SACRIFICES.

" I'm serious!"

"No Zayda, please no."

" I am, you and Omar would make a good couple"

Zayda has been teasing me the entire drive home about Omar. She's practically planning our wedding in her mind, little does she know the guy actually proposed to me...well more like challenged me. Who does he think he is, threatening me with my own sister. I agree he was quite influential, but Allah holds the ultimate power. I know for sure that Zayda and Waseem were meant to be together. They had fate written all over them, and nothing and no-one can get in the way of that.

"Zayda let's just go, I'm really not in the mood"

I whined as I got out of the car. I had lost half of my energy after Omar talked to me and probably needed a nap. I went up to my room, threw my bag on the floor and laid on my bed. I instantly fell asleep, that's how tired I was.

*****

I woke up with my sister's voice yelling in my ears and water being sprinkled on my face.

"Get up now Ayah, you'll miss your magrib?"

I got up instantly and ran to the bathroom to get ready for the prayer. My sister joined me for the rest of the prayers and I noticed her worried face.

Apparently Waseem's family was supposed to call hours ago to confirm the agreement.

"He'll call soon I'm sure of it" I told her.

After supper the house phone finally rang.

"It must be them!" My mother rushed to the phone and answered it.

She talked for a while on the phone sounding very sad and confused. Then she called Zayda who was enxously waiting next to her and gave her the phone. I swore I saw a tear fall down her eye as she tried to be brave by listening to whatever was being said on the phone.

This can't be. I hope Waseem didn't break off the agreement, even though it wasn't set yet.

"Ayah, it's for you!" Zayda said before giving me the phone. Why do they want to speak with me. I didn't do anything. Other than the fight I almost had with Omar, but what's that to do with anything.

"Hello?"

"Hey sweetie."

"You?!" It was Omar on the line.

"Yes me, I wanted to know your answer."

"For what?"

"Marrying me. I'm sure you've seen what I'm capable of doing. Look at your poor sister's condition."

"You're evil, you know that, I hate you!"

"I hate you too."

"Then why do you want to marry me?"

"I have my reasons. So what will it be?...I'll give you 3 minutes to decide."

I looked at my sister while the phone was glued to my ear. She looked beaten and confused. She's already been through so much and I hated seeing her like that. My heart shatters as my mother pulled her into a hug as tears began to fall down her eyes.

"Mom what if they reject me? I'm scared."

"Don't be dear... everything will be alright"

Zayda was scared?, Omar is so cruel. He'd even go to the length of shattering my sister's heart just to get his way, and for what...his reasons?

"20 seconds!" his thunderous voice echoed through the phone.

"Omar come on, this is rediculouse!"

"10...!"

"It's a lifetime decision, do think this through"
I tried to reason with him but nothing was getting through to him.

"5..."

"Please Omar don't do this!"

"4....3..."

"Omar please!"

"2..."

"Fine I'll do it...I'll marry you!" I yelled through the phone as my body shivered.

"Well done princess. I'm done with you, please give the phone to my future mother-in-law"

"Mom, it's for you" I called her, and she came to pick up the phone and ran up to my room but stood at the door.

As soon as she hanged up the phone she screamed with joy and hugged Zayda.

"Mabrook! Both my daughter's are getting married. Alhamdulillah Yaa Rabbi... Ayah come down here right now. Let me kiss you my baby!"

I closed the bedroom door and locked it. then slid down the door to my knees and began to cry.

"Yaa Rabbi" I cried.

________________________________________________

Mubrook- congratulations

Rabbi- my Lord