43: WHY DOES IT HURT SO MUCH?

OMAR'S POV

It was finally the day of the graduation. I've been waiting for this day since Ayah left. It feels like I haven't seen her in forever and I missed her dearly. I was standing infront of the mirror fixing the pink bow tie Ayah forced me to get. I don't know why today the colour seemed appealing. Maybe knowing the fact that she will be wearing the same colour as it or maybe the fact that she got me this. I smiled like an idiot either way. Ayah was something.

It's not just the tie, it's everything. Ayah has become such an important piece of my life. She's helped me through my problems and has been with my through my highs and lows and now, she was busy helping me achieve my dreams. She's a dream. Stop it Omar your beginning to sound weird.

After one more look in the mirror I grabbed my things and got in the car. It was a long drive. Even more becouse of the fact that Ayah wasn't with me. Ok enough cheesyness. I'm beginning to sound weird. But it's true. Im not afraid to admit that I miss her. Badly!

Ayah texted me just as I reached the area that we should meet at the university entrance. I bought her a bouquet to congratulate her. Becouse she's amazing. I then continued the drive to her university. As soon as I arrived there I waited at the spot where she usually waited for me. After a while of waiting, Nadeema approached me.

"Salaam you made it!" she said cheerfully.

"Yes, I'm just waiting for Ayah."

We began talking for a while and my patience was wearing off. I just wanted to see Ayah. Nadeema saw me shaking with impatience so she offered to hold the bouquet. It was beginning to feel weird holding flowers for so long anyways. Not really used to the gesture. But anything for Ayah.

Just then Ayah came marching from the entrance and walked right pass Nadeema and I furiously. What happened to her? I chased after her.

AYAH'S POV

The stupid idiot gave her flowers?! They had been chatting again, as his smile grew wider and wider. I wasn't mad. No ..I was just fuming...can't my husband be my husband for a few days more. And why do I even want that, it's practically over. But they look good together. After this while dibaco they will be together, happily. And me? What will be of me? My stomach began to act up again.

I marched right pass the love birds, not only becouse of my anger but becouse we were running late. Omar came marching right behind me and Nadeema behind him. We got in the hall and found our seats.

After the ceremony Nadeema, Omar and I met our parents outside. We took some photos together. Together as in Nadeema and her family and me and mine...with Omar aswell obviously. I guess I have to get used to this. Why do I feel so empty by the way.

After the photo's, Nadeema grabbed my hand and pulled me to the girls bathroom.

"Congratulations best friend!" She said while hugging me tightly. Oh so we are besties now huh? Suddenly!?

"Why are you doing this? I thought you were mad at me?" I asked.

"Let bygones be bygones Ayah. I forgive you."

She hugged me again.

"But why?"

"I'm sorry I got mad at you with the whole marriage thing. It was a bit childish of me. But it's ok. I'm over it now. Coz I'm getting married too... finally!" She said while showing me her engagement ring wrapped beautifully around her finger.

Nadeema is engaged to Omar and he didn't even tell me? Well he doesn't have to tell me it's his decision. He could have atleast enlightened me about it. She was my best friend after all. He didn't have to do it behind my back. In fact I'm the one who suggested her to him. Me! Of all the things that are happening right now, that fact is what hurts the most.

Why does it hurt so bad. I should be happy for him. He's finally getting what he wanted and so was Nadeema. And she just forgave me too. This should be the best day ever. Right?

But why does my heart feel like it's shattering.

"Congratulations Nadeema. I'm happy for you"

I hugged her before we joined the rest where we had lunch at a restaurant and from there Omar and I drove all the way home. He looked happy. With a huge smile on his face.

That smile of his made me happy...but pained a lot inside.

Why does it hurt so much?

________________________________________________