VII

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

The small family got out of the carriage, one after the other only to be flabbergasted by the large mansion that screamed 'aristocracy' with every detail. While her parents perfectly concealed their astonishment and nervousness, young Armelle couldn't help but let her jaw drop at how beautiful the mansion looked.

The mansion was of two-storeys with cream coloured bricks. It had a few steps that cascaded towards the large front door which was opened for the night's ballroom dance that the Jeons would conduct every December right before Christmas.

Armelle gulped and pulled up her gown to follow her father with hasty steps. Her only objective for tonight was to not trip over her heels and make a scene.

The Jeons were one of the aristocratic families that owned some of the mines in town. Although they lived an extravagant life, they were however generous and helped the families who worked under them. Including Armelle's father.

"Welcome, Johnathan." A man dressed in a three piece suit welcomed them with a bright smile. Looking at his attire and mannerism, Armelle guesses that he was the sole owner of all the Jeon mines.

"Good evening, sir. This is my wife, Edna and my daughter, Armelle."

The two women bowed to the higher-class man as a greeting.

"It's good to finally meet you." He looked back at Johnathan and patted his shoulder, "I hope you have a good night. Enjoy."

The party was no fun.

It was evident by her clothes that she didn't belong here. Women wore expensive and embellished gowns while hers was a simple cotton gown. She wanted to run away, but she couldn't because it was her father's orders.

"You look lost, Miss."

Armelle's breathe got caught in her throat when she heard an unknown voice behind her. She turned around only to be met by a handsome man who seemed to be of her age.

"I'm sorry." He chuckled, his voice sounding like a song to her ears, "I didn't scare you, did I?"

"Oh, no, no. I'm sorry. I was just... startled." Armelle tucked a lose strand of hair behind her ear and looked away, unable to hold her gaze with his warm yet intimidating ones.

The young lad chuckled again at how the beautiful stranger shyed away from his gaze and began to fiddle with her ring, "May I know your name, Miss?"

"Armelle." She said in a low voice, "Armelle Gracen. And you are...?"

She looked up at him. It was now that she noticed his black, woolen frock coat and bow tie. He looked like he was from one of the higher class families.