XX

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

"How dare you insult me like that!"

Another cry left Armelle's lips when the whip came in contact with her skin.

"Stop, Johnathan, please. You're going to kill-"

"You! This is all your fault! You couldn't even raise a daughter well!" The monstrous man spat at Armelle's mother, throwing the whip on the floor beside Armelle, making her shudder at the sudden slapping sound, "The Jeons have asked for a maid, so you are going to work there. And if I hear you misbehave, consider yourself dead!"

Armelle nodded hastily, wiping her tears away with the back of her hand. Her father gritted his teeth and left the house, slamming the door behind him.

"Armelle..." her mom rushed to her side, helping her daughter up from the floor, "Where did you go off to last night, dear? I was so worried for you."

"I was safe, mama." Armelle winced as she straightened herself, "I couldn't bear staying at the mansion any longer."

"But, where did you go?" Her mother's eyes reflected the love and affection she had for Armelle.

Armelle smiled a little, the rosy hue decorating her cheeks, "I met someone, Mama."

Anna's heart ached as if someone had just thrown a ton of bricks onto her heart.

"I'm ready to let you go."

"No, Taehyung! Listen-"

"Beth... it's okay-"

Taehyung was cut off when Anna swiftly crashed her lips onto his, her fingers finding it way to the nape of his neck. It took a while to register, but Taehyung soon closed his wide eyes and kissed her back with the same amount of passion and fire.

Anna could taste the alcohol through the kiss, intoxicating her and making her eyes roll back, wanting more.

But the two broke off when they needed some air, nothing panting, chest rising and falling as they looked into each other's eyes. Taehyung's thumb brushed over her swollen, lower lip while his eyes examined her brown ones.

"I didn't know how to shut you up..." Anna bit her lip, cheeks turned red in turn. With a smile on his face, he leaned in and placed a couple more kisses before tucking his hands behind her knees and back, lifting her up in bridal style.

Her body found support by encircling her arms around his neck.

Taehyung opened the door to his room. It was surrounded by dark grey walls and dark furnitures with a large bed in the middle, on which Taehyung placed Anna very carefully.

Anna was nervous. This was all too fast for her. She wasn't here for sex, all she wanted was to sort her feelings out. And she got her answer, she had feelings for Taehyung and she could no longer deny it. She felt like a horrible person, but a part of her was still happy, "Ta-Taehyung, why...?"

Taehyung got in bed beside her, smiling warmly, "I haven't slept for days. Stay with me. Please?"

Anna bit her lip from smiling and nodded, moving into Taehyung's chest as he enveloped her in a hug. Anna felt so stupid for thinking that Taehyung was already taking them to another level. She was so glad that his intentions were innocent and heartwarming.

Armelle jolted up with a sharp gasp leaving her lips. Placing her trembling palms on her chest, she tried to slow down her ragged breath.

"Elle..." Taehyung groaned, rubbing his eyes, "What's wrong, love?"

He quickly sat up when his eyes fell upon the beads of sweat that embellished his lover's face and neck. He held her by the shoulder and turned her to face him, "Are you okay? Is-is it another nightmare, darling?"

Armelle gulped, nodding her head mindlessly, not being able to meet her eyes with his deep brown ones.

"Come 'ere." Taehyung whispered and opened his arms only for Armelle to perfectly fit in his embrace, her cheeks pushing against his chest. He rocked her back and forth, gently, "What was it this time, love?"

Armelle let out a deep sign, "The same one... of me drowning. I- I almost forgot how to breathe. It was as though I was really pushed off the cliff into the river, drowning, unable to breathe because of the water filling my lungs."

Taehyung placed a comforting kiss on her head and held her close to his body, "It's okay... you have me, dear. I wo-"

"I was pushed off a cliff, Taehyung..." Armelle cut him off, looking deep into his wide eyes, "I was pushed, and he was right there."

"Who, Elle?"

Armelle bit her inner cheek, lips quivering as she replayed the image in her mind.

"Mr Jeon..."

Anna's eyes shot open, dim light piercing through her pupils immediately.

She closed her eyes and let out a sigh in relief, but her eyes shot into the size of saucers again when she felt something tighten around her waist.

"Mm... S-stop movi... ng..." Taehyung groaned in his sleep, pulling Anna closer to his chest. Anna let out a deep breath, a smile teasing her lips as she remembered the events from yesterday. She wanted to turn around and admire his face, but she was also really shy. She felt so happy to be in his arms, but she was also felt...

Like a cheater.

Sure, she broke up with Jungkook before she kissed Taehyung, but how could she move on so fast? Jungkook was after all someone who she grew up with from the age of 6 and crushed on him for over 5 or 6 years. Was it that easy for her to move on? Or was she just seeking distraction through Taehyung.

No... the last thing I want is for Taehyung to be my rebound.

But was he really a rebound?

There went her mind, being all fuzzy, making her indecisive yet again.

"Hey..." Taehyung leaned over Anna shoulder, "What's wrong, Beth?"

Anna blinked, clueless as to why Taehyung's eyes held so much concern while looking at her. She flinched a bit when his fingers gently swept across her cheeks that held a wet trail of her tears, "What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

Anna hadn't realised until Taehyung pointed out. She sniffled and shook her head, implying that it was nothing. Taehyung wanted to push it further, but he chose otherwise, gently pulling her into his embrace and kissed her temple, "I don't like seeing you cry, Beth." He whispered into her messy, bed hair.

And I don't want to hurt you, Taehyung...