XXVI

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

It was a lot to take in.

Sure, Anna knew what she might hear, but she didn't expect it to be this deep. She didn't expect herself to have such a long history with Taehyung.

She had no words to describe how she felt. She didn't know how she felt, to be honest.

It all seemed like a web of lies and deception, but deep down she knew that it wasn't. It was all true.

"H-how did you find me..." her throat had turned into sandpaper, making her words scratchy and unclear. She looked up to see Taehyung leaning against a windowsill on the other end of the room.

"I didn't." Taehyung scoffed, a hurtful smile lingering on his face, "I made up my mind to settle here for a while. So I decided to attend the interview as an art teacher. That was when I first saw you, chatting away with your friend in the corridor. I thought I was hallucinating again, but I wasn't. Just when I was about to rejoice about the fact that I could be with you again, I saw him."

"Who?" Anna muttered, even though she knew where this was going.

"You know who... Jeon Jungkook." Anna noticed how Taehyung's jaw clenched tightly, "It's like history repeating itself for the third time. But this time, I want to keep you safe, Beth. I can't lose you again, which is why I want to ask you to do something for me."

She could see him plead through his eyes and she gulped, "What is it...?"

"I want you to stay away from him."

Anna's brows jumped at his statement. How could she possibly stay away from the only person who she knew since they were kids? The only person who had known her inside-out and vice-versa?

It's true that he accused her for something she'd never do and they were going through a rough patch right now, but that didn't mean that she could just leave Jungkook behind!

"I can't do that." Anna said coldly. So cold that it pierced through Taehyung's heart like an icicle.

"Beth-"

Anna abruptly stopped him by raising her hand up, "Stop, Taehyung. I get that you hate Jungkook with all your life, but you have no evidence that he was the reason they died. You can't just go on accusing him like that. I've known him all my life and he is definitely not the kind to kill someone for a stupid reason like that."

Was I too harsh?

"But listen to me, Beth, please!" Taehyung made his way hastily towards Anna and held her hands, "I need to keep you safe. I can't lose you... not again."