XXIV

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

1798

While the rest of the world was burning up in flames with revolts and wars, our love was the only peace that I had known of.

Or so I thought...

The aristocrats began to revolt against us, calling it illegal and a shame to the higher classes.

And so we decided to escape this village at Jimin's advice. But it wasn't possible because we were trapped.

If it wasn't for your childhood friend, we wouldn't have ever gotten out alive... but eventually I was the only one who ended up alive... and alone.

Why did you leave me?

You said we could trust him and I trusted you. You said you had known each other since childhood, and there were circumstances when I witnessed the deep friendship you both had. I was jealous at times, imagining myself in his place. Being of the same status, class and extremely handsome. Being the "rightful" husband to you as your parents always said.

But I wasn't him.

Not even close...

I wish I hadn't slept that night.

I wish I had stayed up just to see you safe in my arms.

I wish... I wish I hadn't found you soaked - not with water, but your own blood.

I wish I wasn't cursed to remember your blue lips and pale skin all my life.

I closed my tear-filled eyes for a moment. But I wish that moment was eternal.

The next time I opened my eyes, I was no longer beside you. I was on a lone bed, inside what seemed to be a hut lit up with candles scattered around the place.

I didn't know where I was.

I struggled as I supported myself to sit up. It was as though my body hadn't moved for a very long time. All I wished for was this to be a dream and that I'd see the love of my life outside this hut... alive.

"You're awake." An unknown feminine voice echoed.

"W-where am I..." My heart began to pound in my chest, "And- and who are you?"

I shivered when she pushed me back onto the bed, "Rest. You've been through a lot..."

Even though she whispered the last part, it was loud enough for me to hear. My mind was drowning in questions. Why was I here? And how did she know me? I was confused and also afraid.