XXIII

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Uncomfortable silence drowned them, suffocating them.

"I need some air." Anna mumbled and walked out of the library while Taehyung stood frozen in his place. He didn't intercept because he needed time to pull himself together.

"Beth?" Taehyung whispered at the sleeping figure in his front seat. Anna's eyes fluttered open and scanned her surroundings. Like Taehyung had said, they were now at his old cottage. He had promised to tell her everything if she agreed to come here with him, and so after quite a bit of thinking she agreed.

Fresh breeze hit her face and Anna took a deep breath enjoying the less polluted air mixed with the scents of mud and trees.

Taehyung hesitantly held out his hand to Anna, which she accepted after a moment because she couldn't stay mad at him even if she wanted to. They walked side by side into the little cottage and walked their way into the depths of the cottage.

Taehyung broke the silence by clearing his throat and shifting in his place, facing Anna, "Beth... there's something I need to tell you. You might call me crazy, but I need you to believe me. Okay?"

Anna quietly nodded her head. Although it was hard to digest, she knew what was about to be thrown at her face. And she was more than ready for it.

Taehyung pulled out a large, golden key from his pocket and turned around to unlocked the lock securing the odd door that didn't seem to fit with the cottage.

Anna's breath got caught in her throat when it revealed a room filled with canvases, paintings - some completed and some done halfway then sloshed over with paint, probably because of impatience or frustration. But what really caught Anna's eyes was the painting kept away in the far corner of the room.

It's... me.

She took slow steps towards the painting, disregarding the large piles of canvases in her way. Her fingers brushed over the oil painting, lips parted as she observed how delicately each stroke of paint was coated over the canvas. It almost as though she was looking at herself through a mirror, except, the clothes did not look like they belonged to this era.

"That... is Armelle." Taehyung finally broke Anna out of her thoughts. She turned around to see Taehyung biting on his lip as his eyes fell upon everything else except Anna, "Beth... I'm not who you think I am."

Anna took a few steps towards Taehyung and stood before him, leaving little distance between their bodies. He noticed the fire in her delicate eyes as she spoke, "Then tell me, Taehyung... who exactly are you?"

It was the late 17th Century when I first caught sight of you.

Addelyn... Addelyn Dawson. A young woman who didn't belong to this era. So strong, so brave, people hated you for your guts that too when it was coming from a woman. You were someone to be cherished and celebrated. But this cruel society could never accept a woman as great as you. You were meant to rule the world. But this cruel society drove you to a point where you had to flee.

You had to leave me...

I wish I could've saved you, but what could I do?

I was nothing but a lowlife, while you were something so different. But all the royalties and riches you had were nothing but dull pieces of metal when compared to you.

You were a diamond that everyone wanted to own, but didn't know how to cherish.

And your kind heart chose me.

You chose to love me and I wish that I could've given the world to you, but you already had it while I couldn't afford it.

Our love was illicit.

But it was real...

The first time you caught sight of me was when I was pushed onto the streets in front of your carriage. The rough blows from my master's leg immediately stopped when you hopped off the carriage and made your way towards us.

The pain was unbearable, but when my sights fell upon you, I had forgotten what pain meant for a moment. You payed my master money and took me with you into the carriage. I didn't know what was going on because the pain had returned and my eyes turned blurry.

But when I woke up, that's when I realised... I was no longer tied down to slavery.

You freed me.

But you shouldn't have.

I began working for you. You payed me and for the first time, I felt the joy of having to earn for myself.

As days turned to nights, and summer turned to spring, our friendship blossomed.

And it should've stopped there...

The village began to know of our love and even though it wasn't your fault, people of your class began to criticise you. They finally found a reason to remove you out as if your were a weed when in all actuality, you were the only flower amidst the thorns.

With the help of your relative, we ran away one night. Away from the village.

Or so I thought...

The next morning, I found you lying cold and wet near the riverbank. My heart began to pound faster as I felt yours fade away.

I wish I could've saved you.

Okayyyyyy, there's more to the flashback but how do you guys find it so far?

Lemme knowwwww!!!

And also, in case you are confused about this chapter, here's a small summary -

So, Addelyn was the first incarnation that Taehyung had fallen in love with around 320 years ago. She belonged to a high class, not as high as the king and queen, but close enough. She was a strong woman who didn't give a shit about the misogynistic society. She was her own woman and she did whatever the hell she wanted, which is why she had enemies who wanted to wipe her out somehow. Because one rebel can start a REVOLUTION.

Second, Taehyung was a slave that was abused. But when Addelyn witnessed him getting beated up by his master, she pays him and frees Taehyung. She gives him a job at her own place and soon they become friends. Eventually lovers.

Social status at that time was a BIG DEAL. So when the aristocrats got to know about Addelyn and Taehyung being in love, they decide to "wipe her out". But thanks to her "relative's" help, the three of them escape together.

But when Taehyung gets up and searches for her the next morning, he finds her dead by the river.

And just incase you couldn't figure it out.....

The relative was none other than Jeon Jungkook.