[ 3.03 ] - Intermediate: Regret? Why would we regret?

Intermediate: Regret? Why would we regret?

[ 3.03 ]

R Y E N N E  A T S T E L L I

Year 12

Gathered around the dining table, my family surrounded Kaine joyously. A cake personally baked and decorated by my grandmother was centered before him, clearly showing her favor. Kaine could only helplessly smile as we sang to him.

"You guys didn't have to do this for me." He says sheepishly as the smoke from the candles dispersed into the air.

"Of course we do!" Ryun exclaims as he throws a fist up in the air.

"An honorary Atstelli is still an Atstelli! Plus, we'd be missing your birthday with the training camp around the corner, so let's celebrate while we still can!" Uncle Theryn laughs as he brings over a cake knife.

As my uncle hands the first slice of cake to Kaine, I can see his eyes light up despite himself trying to hide his excitement.

"Thank you..." He mutters in embarrassment as he stuffs his face with cake.

It wasn't very often where Kaine would be seen with such a shy expression, and I've realized that maybe he isn't used to accepting things from others that are without an ulterior motive. Though, maybe he just isn't really good at excepting gift from others in general.

"Ryenne, would you like some cake as well?" I hear my uncle call out to me. With a bright smile, I nodded vigorously as he handed me a slice of cake.

It was rare for Grandmother to bake a cake for other nowadays, so to be able to taste it once again is a dream.

Perhaps I should ask grandmother for this recipe? Though I'm unsure that she would willingly give it to me right away. The way she's always done things is "you earn the amount you've worked for". But surely she'd have mercy on her only granddaughter, right?

Of course not, Ryenne.

I inwardly sighed as I stared at my slice of cake with both admiration and sorrow.

I've come to learn that those cookbooks that were laid out in the open were actually recipes that all chefs cultivated in A'lette knew. The glee I felt those few years ago are a fraud.

I truly wonder what it would take for grandmother to allow me to learn her top secret recipes...

Ah! Maybe I'd be able to prove my capabilities at the training site? But I'm unsure what it would have in store for us. Apparently all attendees are not supposed to talk about what goes on there, but according to Ryun, he states that it's all just a bunch of lies and there isn't anything special.

Whatever. Ryun's words should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Pushing my thoughts to the back of my head, I quickly finish the rest of the cake when I am approached by Kaine.

"Ryn, would you like to go on a hike with me?" He asks with his bright smile. Without hesitation, I nodded in agreement.

"I'd love too!" I exclaimed as I stood up from my seat excitedly.

"Ahaha! That's what I'd expect from my fellow outdoors enthusiast!" Kaine let's out a hearty laugh as links his long arm with mine.

From afar, I can hear Ryon sigh. "Am I air?"

In response, Kaine just laughed as he gave a pat to his shoulder. "I know you'd rather be indoors so I didn't bother—Ryun, would you like to come too?"

As I had expected, Ryun agreed and very soon, we left to find a trail and the words of departure we received from Ryon had been, "I hope you two don't regret your decision!"

Regret? Why would we regret?

I was confused at first, but I learned to understand his meaning once our training officially began.

26 March x029

Author's note:
I feel like we'll finally be seeing more familial interactions because of this training camp! I'm very excited for this since I'd like to incorporate my personal experiences with my cousins in this as well. I also feel that it's just more fun.

Question:
Do you think Ryenne will ever learn her Grandmother's secret cake recipe?

2.4.2020