Chapter 37

Nathan POV:
Christmas passed. I'm completely miserable. Ever since Jenny moved, I have been avoiding everybody. and my baby sister will be born in a week or so.

I walk in the school hallway, feeling dreadfulness when I pass Jenny's old locker. My face is expressionless, but everyone knows what's happened. And they all feel bad for me.

When I get to math class, I sit down in Jenny's seat, even though I have to sit in mine. I don't care what Mr. Jenkins says about it, I miss Jenny and that's that.

"Good morning class. Today we have a new student." Mr. Jenkins says. "You can come on up now,"

A tall girl with sandy coloured hair comes up to the front. She's wearing a blue crop top, and some blue jean shorts. She's beautiful.

I snap out of it. Jenny's my number one. "Everyone, this is Jacquelyn. Jacquelyn Smith. She just moved here from Texas. Please give her a warm Sandy Morris High School welcoming."

"Hi." She says, that's when I notice her bright green eyes. And her smile, oh my god. She's absolutely gorgeous. But I'm not aloud to think that, I shouldn't.

"I'll need one person to show her around the school. Who would like to volunteer?"

Everyone raises their hand. She giggles. My heart is literally thumping out of my chest right now. I raise my hand without even realizing it.

"Nathan, how about you?" Mr. Jenkins says. As soon as he says that, my heart shatters to pieces.

I know, I get it. I disappointed you. Fine. I know, STOP GETTING SO MAD! I still love Jenny, but I do realize that sometimes you need to move on with your life.

But I don't know if I'm ready to move on yet.

"Alright, so, turn to page 158 in your math textbooks." Mr. Jenkins says. The rest of class is a blur, between sneaking looks at Jacquelyn.

The bell rings. I get up and wait outside of the math room. When she comes out, her eyes are focused on a book. I tap her on the shoulder. She looks up at me, and smiles, revealing her white teeth.

"Oh, hi. You must be Nathan." She says. "I'm Jacquelyn."

She takes her hand out, and I shake it. I smile at her. "Yup. I'm Nathan. I'll be giving you a tour of the school."

"I kind of already knew that."

"Oh really?"

"Yup." She giggles.

"Alright then. Let's just get started."

--------

When school ends, we decide to grab some ice cream. I text mom and dad, and they're fine with it.

I order some chocolate ice cream with some rainbow sprinkles on top. Jacquelyn orders strawberry ice cream with chocolate sauce. We walk in the park.

"Some people think that coming from Texas, I have an accent." She says, licking her ice cream.

"Well, I didn't expect you to have an accent. I just thought that you had a farm and you milked the cows all day and-"

She laughs. "Nathan, those are just stereotypes idiots make up. Some people just don't have a life."

"I don't have a life?"

"Some people don't have a life. Not you. I bet you're pretty smart."

I'm about to scream but before I do, I lick some of my ice cream to keep my tongue busy. (Please do not think of this in a disgusting way).

"So, what is it like usually here in Florida?"

"Well, first of all, the coldest it ever gets here is 10°c. So you can throw away your snow pants."

"I'm actually quite surprised you know what snow pants are."

"I may live in Florida, but I learn a lot about other countries and stuff. My dad has to import stuff from other countries and sometimes we do some research."

"Oh really? What does your dad do for a living?"

"He's an imagineer."

"What is that?"

"An imagineer? Disney World's engineers."

"That's so sick! Maybe we can go to Disney this weekend together."

"Alright. The parks are,like, twenty minutes away from my house."

"Can you go this weekend?"

"Actually, I can't. My mom is going to have a baby soon."

She smiles. "Congrats! Boy or girl?"

"Girl."

"OMG! What are you guys going to name her?"

"We actually have no clue."

She frowns. "That's too bad." She thinks for while. Then her face lightens up and a huge smile is spread across her face. "How about Sadie? I love that name!"

"Sadie. Sadie James. I like it. I'll talk to mom and dad about it."

She gets a text, she looks at her phone. "Oh, I need to go. I have a lot of unpacking to do." She says. She looks up at me. "I had fun, Nathan."

Jacquelyn gives me a friendly kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay?"
She says, walking towards the road.

"Alright, bye Jacquelyn!"

"Call me Jackie!"

"Cool."

"Bye!"

"Bye!"

She hops into a cab and drives away.