Chapter 50

Shailene POV:
I hop into the car to pick up the girls from school. When I get to Sadie's school parking lot, I park my car.

I go to her classroom, and see her practicing singing her solo for the school concert.

"I've been living with a shadow over head, I've been sleeping with a cloud above my bed, I've been lonely for so long. Trapped in the past I just can't seem to move on." She sings.

Oh my god. I think. That's the song that Hannah wrote when she was younger. Sadie chose that exact song for her school concert. I smile.

"All I want to do is find a way back into love. I can't make it through without a way back into love, and if I open my heart to you-"

The bell rings. Everyone applauds for her. She blushes and smiles. When she sees me, she runs into my arms.

"Sadie! You were amazing!" I say.

"Thanks, mom." She says. I put her down.

"Why did you choose Hannah's song?"

"Because she sang it to me when she and Nathan came to visit with Jenny and Jack." She says.

"How did you get it memorized?"

"It took a lot of reading."

I smile and hug her. I pull away from the hug and take her hand. "Come on honey, let's go pick Julie up from school. Then we'll go home and get some snacks." I say.

We walk to the car and pick up Julie. When Julie is in the car, I explain what Sadie sang. Julie smiles halfway through the story.

"I remember the day Hannah sang that, I was in third grade I think." She says.

-----

Theo, Sadie, Julie, and I sit at the dinner table talking and eating.

"This really is a wonderful family." I say.

"Yeah, and it got rough sometimes, but it's all worth it." Theo says. He winks at me. I grin back.

"Ew. Secret sexual messages." Julie says. She sighs. "I thought you guys knew better."

We all laugh. "This is how a family starts." I say.

"And this is how a family ends."

He comes over and kisses me.

The End.