part 23

"Fear's useless. Either something bad happens or it doesn't: If it doesn't, you've wasted time being afraid, and if it does, you've wasted time that you could have spent sharpening your weapons." ― Sarah Rees Brennan, The Demon's Lexicon

Sophie's POV

School was boring but it was pretty fun being carried everywhere. Cam drove us home and he went outside to shovel snow. I found a piano in the empty room the other day. I went on my pink MacBook and researched how to play the piano and it was simple. I learned how to play songs in seconds and I printed a bunch of sheet music.

I went and sat on the stool and picked up the Someone Like You sheet music I printed out. I lifted my fingertips to the keys and lightly began to play. I love how the music just drifts off lighting the room with beauty. I remember my mom wrote a poem:

Music makes you free.
The beat fills your body,
Making you shiver from the amazement.
It can set your soul on fire,
Or turn you into ice.
Its extraordinary what it can do.

I finished the song and heard clapping behind me. I didn't think anyone was here! I quickly whipped my head around to Cam who was awestruck.

"I didn't know you played!" He smiled.

"I don't, I just taught myself a few days ago." I say.

"What? It took me a month to play twinkle twinkle little star." He laughed sitting on the stool next to me.

"It's not that hard. Just memorize the white keys as EGBDF over and over and the black keys are sharps and flats." I say.

"Oh, can you play another song?" He asked.

"Uh sure." I flipped through the sheets I printed and picked All Of Me.

I started to play. My fingers moving over each key. I looked over at Cam who was in shock. I finally finished and he looked at me.

"Maybe you should be in music instead of theater." He laughed.

"Maybe." I said smiling.

This is our last week of school before Christmas break and two more weeks until the Magcon event. It's now Friday and I'm so excited for Christmas I can hardly wait.

I put on my white Giselle Sweater, some skinny jeans, and made a bow with my hair. I was gradually getting my health back so it's getting easier for me to move around. I walked downstairs and Gina put a plate of waffles on the table.

"Good morning Sophie, take as many as you like." She smiled. I nodded and sat down grabbing one waffle and putting it on my plate, then drowning it with syrup. Cam came down, sitting next to me, and shoved three waffles in his mouth. I laughed and we scurried to the garage. I put on my tan knee high boots because it was snowing and grabbed my backpack. We drove to school in Cam's mustang and ran into the school. We were late... Oops.

"Mr. Dallas, Miss. Smith. How nice of you to finally join us." Miss. Duncan said sarcastically. My face turned red. "Would you like to explain?"

"Uh no." Cam said and everyone laughed.

"Okay detention after school for you both." She said and we walked to our seats. Wow, and I thought I would be done with this jailhouse at 1:30. Cam mouthed the word sorry and I just smiled. It's neither of our faults.

"Now that everyone is here, all of you will present what you will be doing over winter break." Miss. Duncan said. Crap, I can't talk in front of the whole class. I immediately started to freak out.

"First, Olivia Anderson." She said. At least my last name starts with a S. Liv walked up to the class. She loves to talk so she will be fine.

"Over winter break I'm going to New York to see my cousins and I might hang out with my friends." She said. Hey I might see her in New York.

"Thank you Olivia. Next is Thomas Burkly." Ms. Duncan said. We just listened to a bunch of people talk until it was Cam's turn.

"Cameron Dallas." She said. He walked up to the class and I could tell girls were drooling over him. Some even pushed there boobs up so he would look at them but knowing Cam, he's not like that.

"Over winter break I'm going to spend time with my wonderful family." He looked at me, "And I'm going to a Magcon event." Girls screamed and he sat down. A few others went and some girls talked about getting tickets to Magcon. Great. Nash was up now.

"Over winter break I'm probably going to Cam's house." All the girls laughed obnoxiously, "And I am also going to Magcon." He sat down girls all over him.

After what felt like forever, I was called. I slowly made my way but nervous as ****. I got a lot of rude stares from the Magcon fangirls. Okay then. I looked at the class.

"I um. Over winter break uh I'm going to spend Christmas with my family," I kinda choked saying family, since I don't really have one. More like an adopted one. "And I'm going to Magcon with Nash and Cam." Whew I did it. Still shaking I sat down getting even worse stares from the girls.

The last few people presented and the bell rang. Thank God! I can't stand these girls looking at me.

Lunch

"Hey Soph." Cam and Nash came up beside me.

"Hey guys." I say sitting down next to Liv.

"I'll go get you lunch." Cam walked over to the line.

Nash sat across from Liv and I.

"So you excited for Magcon." He asked unpacking his sack lunch.

"Yea. I just don't know how the girls will react." I say sighing.

"They'll love you! Everyone likes you!" Nash said.

"Not everyone." I looked over at Jake's table. He glared back at me.

"Here." Cam came back with two lunches. He sat the tray with a grilled cheese and french fries with a Coke in front of me.

"Thanks." I say starting to eat.

"Hey guys." Jake came over smiling. Could anyone be more fake OMG.

"Go away." I huffed.

"What was that?" He asked putting his hand around his ear to "hear better".

"She said to go away." Nash said loudly but not yelling.

"Why don't you let her speak for herself." Jake said rudely.

"Why can't you leave her alone." Cam said.

"Oh her little boyfriend." Jake smirked. Cam got up and punched Jake, hard.

"CAM!" I screamed getting up and prying him off Jake.

"Just let me kill him." Cam jolted forward and Nash helped me pull him back. By now the whole cafeteria was silent, watching us.

______________________

Oohhh! Someone's in trouble!! R.I.P Caroline! You will be missed! Heaven gained another beautiful angel👼🙏😭