Some Grown Ass Woman

CHAPTER 9

Mia's POV

-Friday morning-

1:00 AM

Bang!

Bang!

Bang!

I wake up startled and jump out of bed. I grab the bat in my closet because when you live alone most of the time with a drunk mother you learn to be prepared.

I go downstairs carefully trying not to make a sound.

Bang!

I jump as I hear someone banging on the front door.

I go up to the peephole and look through it.

"Mom!?!"

I open the door and let her inside. She walks in noticeably drunk.

"Hey honey! You have dinner yet?"

"You have got to be fucking kidding me!" I drop the bat on the floor. I can't contain my anger anymore.
"What the HELL! Why are you barely getting home? Do you know how late it is?" I stare at her in disbelief, I thought I was supposed to be the daughter, not the other way around! "You know what I can't! I can't deal with you and your BULLSHIT anyMORE! I run upstairs and grab some clothes and a few essentials.

"And where do you think you're going?" My mom is standing at the door now.

"Away from YOU!" I finish packing, put on some sweats over my shorts and a hoodie over my tank top. "I am done! You said you had changed! Why the fuck did I believe you? I don't know..." I look at her in the eyes, but she can't hold my stare. "But don't worry, I am DONE believing anything you say!"

I take my bag and leave taking her car keys with me. I hear her call my name before she trips and falls, hopefully on her ass. I am done with her. I start the car and drive. I have no idea where I am going so I just go.

After I drove her car to the beach and walked 3 miles and a half, I was a lot calmer. I got into some fresh clothes and attempted to brush my crazy hair with just a hair brush and a rearview mirror. Then I drove home and it was only 6:13. When I got home my mom was sitting at the counter, coffee in hand.

I gave her one glance and turned and began to walk away, but she stopped me.

"Hey, wait!" She looked at me almost as if she was begging me with her eyes. "Please, let me explain..."

I stood where I was and turned my body to face her. I sighed and prepared myself for just about any excuse I could think of.

"Go ahead.."

She gave me a look of gratitude mixed with shame like she was going to cry.

"Oh Mia, I am so sorry!" And the tears started to fall. "I know that I have never been a good mother to you and for that I will never be sorry enough..." She pushed herself to keep speaking through the tears. "It's just... in a months... from now... your father... anniversary..." Well, she just couldn't stop sobbing.

"In a month's time is the anniversary of my father's death, yes Mom, I know."

She looks at me without speaking.

"You know how sad it is that one of the only things I remember about my father is his death day?"

For years I wondered how my father died. I mean my mom was too busy getting drunk and feeling sorry for herself to ever explain to me who my father was. Sometimes I find myself little by little forgetting who he was in my life. Nevertheless, some things do stay with me, but they are only moments, memories. They aren't enough.