Ballroom Dances & Set Ups

CHAPTER 38

Mia's POV

-Saturday night-

"Santana. What are you doing here." I quickly get up and back away form him. I step up the gazebo and glare at him, warningly.

"Relax, Misa, I just came to talk to you." He raises his hands in the air, surrendering.

"Don't you fucking call me that!" To hear the name my father used to call me come off the lips of the son of the man who killed my father stings in a way I wish I could ignore. I shouldn't allow him to get to me so easily.

"Mia. Please. I just want to talk. Please, just give me a chance." He asks this of me with pure plead in his eyes.

I can tell he's being sincere, but a part of me really just doesn't want to let him speak. It doesn't want me to hear what he has to say in fear that he will change my mind about him. Accepting that he is a good guy is almost like a betrayal to my father.

The voice in my head telling me not to give him the time of day is quickly overpowered.

"You have five minutes." Is all I say, and he relaxes.

Guero lets out a sigh and begins, "Mia, i know that what my father did to yours was terrible, and I don't agree with him at all. I-I need you to believe me when I tell you that I am really not a bad guy. I just-"

"Says the guy who lied to me."

"That was only so you wouldn't automatically judge me based on who my father was! And it worked! You saw me for me when you didn't have the vision of Rafael placed on my forehead! Now that you know... it's like you forgot that when we hung out we had a great time. In fact, hanging out with you was always the highlight of my day." He sort of blushes and looks to the floor. "I just- I didn't want everyone to see me for my father... I wanted them to see me for me. My actions, my doings, my choices, not some guys who I barley ever knew and almost never talked to."

He paused...

"Why should I believe anything that you say?" I asked.

"Because I'm not my father. That man left my mother and I when we needed him the most. He abandoned his only child. My mother was almost never home because of all the shifts she worked just to keep me alive. He's the reason I grew up alone. He's the reason my mom DIED TIRED! He's the reason why my life was as fucked up as it turned out to be. He took away from me just as much as he took away from you."

I watch him curiously as tears of anger and resentment spring in his eyes, but he just swallows them. He pretends they were never there and he continues to look into my eyes. "Mia. I came here because... well..." He sighs before trying again. "My dad managed to offend probably the whole damn Mafia... and half those people naturally hate me. Everyone just expects me to be like the spawn of Satan or something. The only difference... is I have forever to prove my loyalty to them... with you it's different... I can't sit around for years- Hell! I can't even stand days, knowing that you hate me."

I stand there... he is apologizing for something he can't control. Wow. I have been a serious bitch.

I pause for a minute, contemplating everything that has happened to me up until now.

I had just found a whole side of family I didn't know I had. What was the point of holding a grudge over something so stupid. "Look, Guero, you're right. I should have never judged you based on who you're family is... it was a real bitch move. I should have just taken the time to get to know you or even just hear you out on why you lied about who you were." I sighed. "I'm sorry for making you feel the way you did. I would love it if we could just start over... friends?"