Chapter 12 - Rooftop Rumble

Tavia escorted me and Clem to the roof and into a greenhouse. There was what looked like berries and Sarah was also crying in a corner.

Tavia: Stay in here for a minute, I'm gonna radio down and find out what you're doing. Don't touch anything.

She leaves. Me and Clementine walked up to Sarah.

Y/N: Hey... you gonna be alright?

Clementine: Do you want a hug?

Sarah doesn't respond.

Y/N: Hey, I'll take it if she doesn't want it.

She turns and glares at me.

Clementine: Not the time for jokes, Y/N.

Y/N: Sorry, just trying to lighten up the mood.

She gives a faint smirk before turning back to Sarah.

Clementine: I owe you. Whenever you need it, let me know.

Sarah: My dad's never hit me before... Even if I was super bad...

Clementine: Your dad didn't want to do it.

Y/N: Yeah. Carver practically forced him to. So he hit you in a weird way.

Sarah: Yeah, I guess so... Carver hit me super hard then, because it still hurts like crazy.

Clementine: Yeah, it looked like it.

Sarah: Thanks... for trying to help... I don't understand why people have to be so mean. Even when I'm really mad, I still don't want to hurt anyone...

The door then opens and Tavia and Reggie walks in.

Tavia: Don't mess this up.

Reggie: Yeah, I get it.

Tavia: Reggie's in charge here, okay? Be sure to listen to him carefully.

Reggie: Yep. No problem, Tavia.

She leaves once again.

Reggie: Okay, we gotta do a good job, guys. The camp is counting on us. I'll show you what to do. It's really simple.

We walked over to a tabled with shears.

Reggie: Pick up those shears.

We all picked up a pair.

Reggie: Okay, so we're picking these berries, right? Just pick them, put them in the basket. Simple. If you see any dead branches, pick those too and stack them neatly for composting. Got it?

Y/N: Seems easy enough.

Me and Clem went to a different table as Reggie approached us.

Reggie: Hey, so... is she gonna be okay? Because what happened down there was straight fucked up. I don't want her freaking and getting me in trouble.

Clementine: I'll take care of her.

Reggie: Good... 'cause I'm awful at that stuff.

He patted Clementine on the head.

Y/N: Uh... what?

Reggie: Yeah... that was... awkward... I will never do that again. I'm gonna go work now.

He walks and Clementine walks over to Sarah as I began doing her work.

*Timeskip*

I'm finished up Clem's work and I looked over to see her still helping Sarah. I was about to do my work, but I heard the roof door close and I see Carver approaching the greenhouse.

Reggie: Oh, shit.

Sarah: Oh, no.

Reggie looks over at my table.

Reggie: Y/N? Why didn't you do your work?!

Y/N: I did Clem's work first.

Clementine looked at me worriedly.

Clementine: Y/N...

Carver then enters the greenhouse.

Carver: Howdy. Just checking in... see how the new recruits are doi-

He notices my table which had no work done.

Carver: Reggie.

Reggie: Yeah, Bill. Hey.

Carver: What the fuck happened in here?

Reggie: Okay, Bill. They're new, and me with my arm, it's just not the eas-- I just ha-- I have one--

Carver: Shut up. Shut up. Shut the fuck up.

Carver: You better have an explanation for this. And I mean now.

Reggie: Bill, please just--

Carver: Sounds like you were about give me an excuse, when I asked for an explanation.

Y/N: It was my fault. Not his.

Carver: Nah, this ain't your fault.

Reggie looks down in fear.

Carver: We talked about this Reggie, didn't we? But, you just don't get it do you?

Reggie: Get what? I- I-

Carver: Why don't you three go wait outside? Me and Reggie need to talk about some things.

I looked at Reggie with guilt-filled eyes as I walked out.

Reggie: Thanks for the help guys...

Once we went outside I stared at the herd in silence. Guilt is eating me up. I feel a hand on my shoulder, I turned around and it was Clem's.

Clementine: Why do you do my work and not yours?

Y/N: I thought I could get it both done. And if I couldn't do it, then I rather Carver be pissed at me and not you. But it looks like Reggie is gonna take the hit of it all.

Clementine: It's not your fault. You're only one guy.

Y/N: I feel like Carver is setting Reggie up. He put three kids, which one is in a bad state right now, and a one-armed guy to do all that work in that short amount of time.

Clementine eyes widen

Clementine: Holy--

The door then flew open.

Carver: I gave you plenty of chances!

Reggie: Wait, Bill! Please! Don't do this!

He grabs Reggie and throws him off the roof.

Carver: Weakness... Incompetence... It puts us all at risk, and it won't be tolerated. You think about that the next time your asked to do something.

Y/N: You... murdered him... You're a murder...

He gets furious and grabs me by the neck and hangs me over the edge of the roof.

Clementine: Wait! No!

Carver: I recommend you keep that mouth shut next time. Unless you want to join him. And what I just said goes double for you. You don't want want to disappoint me again. We clear?

He grip gets tighter and I weakly nodded and he throws me towards the greenhouse. Clementine quickly comes over and helps me up.

Carver: Now, get downstairs. Bonnie's got some stuff for you to do. Go.

We started to walk away.

Clementine: You okay?

Y/N: I- I don't know, Clem. My neck hurts. Let's just get off this roof, please.

My voice was raspy. She silently nods as we walked backed to the armory.