Chapter 14 - A Talk

Y/N: Looks like Carver's talking to Rebecca.

I pointed up to the window of his office.

???: Dude, y'all better get up and see Bill. He doesn't like to wait.

Y/N: Oh, really?

???: Yeah... y'all should probably go.

He walks off.

Clementine: I'm nervous, Y/N.

Y/N: You and me both, he did almost kill me earlier.

As we got to the stairs, we see Rebecca walk down and she was crying.

Y/N: Rebecca?

She ignores me and continues to walk down.

Carver: She's a strong woman, surrounded by weak men. I ain't letting my kid get raised around that. Now, get it here?

As we walked in we see Alvin all bloodied up in a chair.

Clementine: Alvin? Alvin?!

Carver: Don't waste your time. He can't hear a thing. Like I said, weak men. Now get over here.

We both walked up to his desk and sat down. He sits on the edge of his desk.

Carver: You make sure and tell me the truth when you're sittin' where you are... and you won't end up in that chair.

He looks over at the chair Alvin's sitting in.

Carver: Now, you might not believe this after what happened earlier, but... I liked Reggie. He was a funny guy, kept things light. You need people like him. It's easy to let depression set in during times like this.

Carver: But he was weak. And I don't mean just 'cause he was maimed, that wasn't his problem. He was weak of will. Weak of character. And we can't have people like that. Not in this world the way it is.

Y/N: I stand by what I said. You're a murderer! You can call it whatever helps you sleep at night, but it's murder.

Carver: Listen, Y/N. It's not murder. The thing is, Reggie put us at risk with his incompetence. He's hand a string of screw-ups lately.

Carver: Killing one in order to save many is part of survival. It's one of the tough decisions that a weaker person couldn't make. That's why it falls to people like us, to lead them to safety. You understand? 

Clementine: We are not like you.

Carver: I know it when I see it. If anything, you two have more balls than most of the people out there combined, especially Y/N. I don't think anyone has the balls to call me a murderer, especially after what I did to them on the roof. 

Y/N: We're not psychopaths.

Carver: Psychopath is not the word I'd use. I think you realize how alike we are, but you're not comfortable with it yet. There's no way you both could've lasted this long otherwise.

Carver: I realized it back in that cabin. You were scared... but you both looked me straight in the eye. Kept your nerve. The next generation has to be stronger than the last to... lead them to safety. Kids like you raised the right way, the way my kid will be raised.

Clementine: It's not your kid. It's Alvin's.

Carver: Well, even if that were true. It's mine now. Anyway now--

Tavia: Bill? You there?

He walks over and picks up the talkie.

Carver: Yeah, I'm here.