Warm Washcloth

ROSIE POV

Okay. She has to go.

This morning I walk in, holding some donuts that I bought for Lisa and I to share, and Mina is in there. Standing over Lisa and dabbing her forehead with a warm wash cloth. Her face again only centimetres away from my girlfriends.

"Hello?" I make sure to announce loudly so that Mina stands up straight, pulling herself away from Lisa. An uncomfortable but relieved look spreads across Lisa's face when I approach the bed, placing the box of donuts on her table and leaning down to give her a hug.

"Hey beautiful, how was your night?" I make sure to bend down really low so Lisa can fully wrap her arms around me without hurting herself. I just know that Mina is standing there watching me hug the girl that she likes.

"I was okay. I missed you though." Lisa's voice is soft in my ear, her skin slightly wet from the water droplets that must have come from the washcloth.

"I'll give you a kiss soon, okay?" I whisper so that the other girl can't hear. "Hello Mina!"

The girl jolted, probably surprised that I had even acknowledged her. "Hi Miss...". I don't hate Mina. I just wish she would stop trying to get Lisa to agree to let her bathe her. I mean, I know I couldn't really tell her, but Lisa was my girlfriend... not hers. "I'll, uh, leave you two alone!"

There was such an awkward silence while the girl gathered her things, not taking her eyes off of Lisa. But when she finally disappeared down the corridor I shut the door to the room, so I could slide into bed with Lisa and wrap my arms around my fragile baby.

"Did you sleep okay last night?"

Lisa doesn't even respond, she just leans forward and kisses me, her hands grabbing at whatever they can find. It takes me a little while to register but when I do, I realise that Lisa's body is shaking. She's crying.

"Lisa? Hey!" I pull away from her, her eyes red and filled with tears. "What's wrong?!" She doesn't say anything, but tightens her grip around my stomach and buries her head in my neck, her tear drops running down my chest.

"I m-missed y-you". My heart clenches at her words. I should have stayed last night. I should have sucked it up and slept on the fucking floor or something. Lisa's been having trouble on her own lately, and while I have been with her almost 24/7, she hates it when I leave her side.

"Shhh baby I'm so sorry. I'm here now." I try to soothe the girl clutching onto me, kissing the top of her head, rubbing her back, anything. "I'm staying! I'm here, love".

I don't know what brought it all on so quickly, but it took a while of whispering, kissing and rubbing her back until her sobs turned into sniffles and she was just laying in my arms. Her delicate body so fragile and weak from being in hospital for such an extended period of time.

"I'm sorry..." her voice is soft and small against my neck. Her breath almost nonexistent.

"God, please don't be sorry. I'm sorry for leaving you!"

She released her grip on my neck and melts, her body physically relaxing. "I love you".

"I love you too, Lis."