Friends

"Hey, I didn't see you for the last three days. You even skipped practice. Are you alright?" His soothing low toned voice literally gave her butterflies.

"Oh, something came up at home" she tried to keep the news as quiet as possible. She wouldn't want to embarrass herself saying she was engaged to a total moronic disaster of a person.

'Find a boyfriend so they'd leave me alone'

As much as she wanted Akaashi to be her saviour she wouldn't be selfish enough to drag him into her mess. They had the final inter high championships coming and Akaashi had to keep his scores up to participate. He was quite smart but he couldn't pull the time to get it done and Sayuri, well Sayuri just made it easier for him. She didn't mind because that'd be good revision for her, not to mention he was one of her only friends other than Bokuto Kotaro.

"Have you even eaten?" He asked in the middle of their study routine. The library was rather quiet.

"Yes" she kept her answers minimal but he felt something strange with her behaviour. They were startled with the loud voice.

"HEY HEY HEYYY!!!" The ever so noisy animal entered but was immediately shushed by the librarian. "Gomeeenn" he smiled awkwardly and hurriedly tiptoed towards the two study buddies.

"Looks like he's here" Akaashi sighed.

Bokuto dropped all his books on the table. "Yuri chan, I need help with math!"

"Kotaro! Keep it down!" The librarian yelled again making him mumble inaudibly under his breath. "Mendokuse"

"What do you need help with?" 

"This theorem is sucky" he said showing her the problem.

"Oh, it's easy" she said. She loved math.

"It's easy for you to say" he scoffed before leaning towards her to see her do her magic. Akaashi blankly looked at the two do Bokuto's homework. Something came over him when their heads almost touched "Bokuto, I'll teach you that one." He pulled the book away before she finished and she was startled.

"Hey!" Bokuto scolded moving away from her.

"Sumimasen" Akaashi apologised. She was pretty shaky that day that he noticed it. "Yuri chan, you're being weird today"

"What?!" She looked at Bokuto who nodded in agreement. "No, of course not"

"You are" Akaashi deadpanned.

"Oh" she didn't want to get caught "I'm just hungry, the new diet is just messing with my head"

"Why do you need a starving diet? You look absolutely perfect" Bokuto said and Akaashi was uncomfortable with the ace examining her.

"Let's go" Akaashi shot from his seat and Sayuri just sighed in relief before following him along with Bokuto.

"So, how's your team faring?" Bokuto asked taking a big bite out of his pastry.

"It's going okay" she said.

"Akaaashiii!!!!" A few girls literally pushed Sayuri aside and sat beside him. She quietly got up with her bowl of oats and sat on the other side with Bokuto. "Wha-"

"Keiji kun, why didn't you tell me you needed help with studying? I'd help you out" one of them groaned.

"I'd help you too, Keiji kun"

"Why would you even go to study with that dork?" An authoritative female voice echoed through the cafe. "Girls, move away" she sneakily smiled and they made way for her.

She sat beside Akaashi, almost in his lap before taking a bite out of his sandwich. "Say, baby" she said "Why don't you come over so I can help you with homework?"

"Aniya, I can't, I have practice" he flatly said. "Besides, why are you even here? You said this wasn't working out, last week"

"And I'm so sorry" she faked her emotions so well nobody could really tell if she was really in agony or not. "And you. Stay away from him" Aniya hissed are her. Sayuri just awkwardly ate her oatmeal while Bokuto worriedly looked at her. Sayuri had bigger problems in life other than meddling with her crush's love life. Her heart panged alright, but she wasn't a baby to go home crying.

"I'll talk to you later" Akaashi said to Aniya looking at Sayuri's troubled face and she scoffed before getting up walking away with the other girls.

"What's bothering you so much?" He asked accompanying Sayuri back to school with Bokuto.

"Nothing" she said.

"Tell me!" He said. Her car was waiting for her a few feet away from them.

"No- why? We're not friends. I'm just your... study mate." She bitterly said.

"O-Okay" he was aghast. Sayuri was always so kind and soft, her answer greatly shocked him.

She got into her car and broke down as her heavy hearted driver paid a deaf ear to her wails. Her heart shredded as she remembered Akaashi's hurt face. Oh, how she wanted to apologise to him and tell him it was all because of her. Because she was engaged against her very will, to a demonic person who wouldn't even acknowledge her existence. Her heart went out to Akaashi, her biggest crush who was finally showing signs of interest after three years of just studying with her in the library. She couldn't even apologise to him and her heart sank into a bottomless pit. She was helpless; her sorries couldn't even travel through the nerve that reached her tongue. Her brain had created a cemented barrier and it was her boundary. The boundary she had to now live within for the rest of her life.

Sayuri forgot what comfort felt like, she never experienced it in the first place. She was the daughter of one of the wealthiest business magnates in all of Japan, even beyond but she lacked the warmth. The feeling of security, of having someone have her back. Sure her father wanted her to have the best of things but he wasn't her friend. She barely made two but her chains had reached their utmost length and she had to stop. She was a mess beyond reparation. Nothing less than a dead person. Her father was her only family and if she disappeared into thin air, he'd be the only person to wait for her and that was because he was her father. She knew nobody else would. She hated that. She hated being so obsolete. So much that it drove her to the brink of madness. She thought of Akaashi. His whole team would topple Japan looking for him, especially Bokuto. The whole school liked him. Some of them even worshipped him. Even his mean ex- girlfriend would look for him if he were to vanish. It would mean the world to Sayuri if there was even one person other than her father who'd say that they'd stick for her, even if they hated her to the ends of the world. She would be so thrilled.

Sayuri was always at the best of her behaviour but she still wouldn't understand why she didn't have friends or why she'd be picked on. Her own volleyball team didn't recognise her anymore than calling her their "soft captain"

"Sayu, my child" her father smiled welcoming her but she ran past him with a tear stained face, all the way to her room.

"What happened to my girl?" He asked the chauffeur.

"She just cried all the way back home" he said trying to save her skin "That's all I know"

"She didn't talk to her friends? Anything?"

"She doesn't have any" he flatly smiled before taking his leave.

The door knocked a while later and her father painfully walked in with some tea to calm her down "I'm right here, Sayu..." he said "you don't have to worry. Just bear with me for a few years" he said, but what he said next was straight out of her biggest nightmare.

"Once you're married to Kiyoomi everything will get better."