Apology

"No" she palmed her mouth. "My hair's already short"

"What colour is it?" She asked.

"Nani?" He mumbled to himself before he said "white"

"Thank Kami. Pink was my favourite, I didn't want to start hating it" she was throwing around nonsense because she panicked and his hands stopped working at the horror of what she said. The class was empty and the teacher had left.

"Can you take it out?" Her voice almost gave up "Please"

"I'll try" was all he said.

"Wait here" he said before he disappeared. Sayuri waited for a while and was almost certain that he bailed on her. She hid her face in her hands and began to sob until she felt someone touch her hair. Sarukawa put something on the gum and took it out in a paper.

"P-Peanut butter-" She sniffled.

"They're greasy" he mumbled while he folded the paper and tossed it in the bin.

"It's gone?"

"It's gone"

"I thought you bailed" she pressed her tears on her hanky.

"I'm sorry." He said "I had to disturb a neighbor"

"What, did you threaten them too?" She smiled but her smile fell when he just blinked. 'He did not! Did he really?'

"Sorry" she shut up "I-I have to get going, but thank you." She bowed graciously "thank you very much"

"Ah, never mind" he looked away "You owe me one"

"I do" she let out a small smile before she left

"Sarukawa did WHAT?!" She had never seen Kiyoomi so surprised, she just tugged her head low and looked at the leather seats.

"Oh, I shouldn't have listened to you" he held her head against his chest as he checked her hair.

"Please don't tell Nobugi san." She said "Please"

"But Sayuri-"

"Please..." she clutched his shirt nuzzling her head closer to him.

"I hate how you make me say yes to everything you want!" He railed. "I'm coming tomorrow"

"No!" She said. "I can get through it, I swear. It won't get any worse I'll handle it better I promise"

On Day 3 of detention Sayuri was just relieved that she was halfway through. It was true what her father said, she did learn a lot. But she hated it. She hated it with all her heart. She saw her usual desk scribbled with incoherent nonsense she bent a little trying to read them but a hand covered her line of sight. She saw deep scars on the hand and almost fell backwards. Almost. She jumped in fright to look at the expressionless Sarukawa who just pointed at his seat "Go sit in mine" he said before sitting in hers.

"Sarukawaaaa, stop going soft on her, you're on the wrong side." One of them said.

"Yaah! You should stop digging your grave" he carelessly replied.

"Thanks" she said "Ano sa..." She stopped talking when his cold gaze hit her.

"What is it?" He asked.

"What are... those scars?"

"Birthmarks" he lied to her face knowing she wouldn't buy it but he also knew

"Okay"

...that she wouldn't question further. He scanned her face wondering how someone could be as simple minded as she was, especially in this zoo.

She winced for a second before slightly rubbing the back of her head and he stopped staring at her. He saw a ball of paper fall on the ground and briefly saw who threw it. The next moment another one came flying in, his hand stretched almost automatically and caught the paper ball before it reached her head, softly nudging her head to lay down on the desk and she did without a word.

She kept a solid face trying not to flinch with every paper that hit her without the teacher's notice. One bad thing was that she couldn't concentrate and her shaky fingers kept breaking the tip of her pencil again.

"Here" he handed her his wooden pencil and took hers; her soft fingers slightly brushing his cicatrised ones making his brain momentarily freeze. He unwittingly held her hand and opened her palm, examining her small appendage. Her fingertips were pink from gripping the pencil too hard, she was nervous and her hand was really warm. The faded spots of carbon on her skin didn't deserve to be there, her baby fingers were too nice for that.

"I-Is everything okay?" She was flushing at his sudden reaction.

"Sorry" he let go of her hand and got back to writing.

She sat through the chiding holding onto her last strand of resilience and he smirked noticing how much she had improved since Day 1. She was hopeless on her first day.

"Looks like Sayuri chan will be joining us everyday" Hosuke said as soon as the teacher left. He was the pig throwing the paper. "No babe?"

"Is this your last day?" Sarukawa blankly asked.

"Tomorrow" she managed a breathy whisper.

"Hmm... too bad" he pouted like a kid. And as much as he wanted to do it on her last day, "Wait here" he said before he got up his seat.

"What is it, Sarukawa?" Hosuke saw him approaching. Sarukawa dauntlessly gripped the back of his neck and smashed his head against the desk, the sharp sound alerting everyone and startling Sayuri. He roughly pressed his head against the desk and leaned closer to his ear "I warned you not to dig your grave" he snarled.

"Hosuke!" One of his friend rushed to help him but Sarukawa absentmindedly tromped his foot and kneed his groin. He then tilted his head to dodge a swing at his face and gripped the new hand before expertly twisting it to pin it against the assailant's back. Sayuri was startled out of her wits when she heard it crack so loud. Sakrukawa only had a slightly angry face, his jaw was a little tense and his brows furrowed. His lips curled flatly into a small frown but it was enough to shut everybody up. Sarukawa held Hosuke by his collar and dragged him back to the front row before dropping him before Sayuri who looked as pale as a white paper. She was shivering like she was in the Arctic without warm clothes. She would never want to mess with Sarukawa in a million years.

"Sumimasen!" Hosuke bowed in apology and a tear escaped her eyes because of all the anxiety. His brow was busted, his nose was jammed and he had a bad bruise on his forehead but Sarukawa looked as cold as ever.

"It's... I-It's okay" she quickly said and Toshiro let him leave.

"Why would you do that?" She was breathlessly panting as she held her palm against her forehead. He saw the worry on her face and calmed down. "I'm sorry" he bent until he was at the level of her face "Did I scare you?"

She hesitantly nodded. She jerked backwards in fright when his hand reached for her face. His fingers lightly traced her cheeks before retracting "Let me know if they bother you again" he said before walking away.

He strode out of the building with a strained face. He mumbled a sincere apology for all that she'd have to go through. Her pureness had begun to haunt him already.

"Sasaki..." he let out a low, agonising growl on his way back home "You better not force me to change my mind"