Wake

Kiyoomi's head was whirring. The first thing he did after he saw the news in the morning was search for Sayuri. He hadn't even made it to her father's wake but the news was already everywhere.

"Okaasama... where's Sayur-"

His eyes landed on her pale figure in a black dress sitting on the couch unmoving. She didn't even care that her engagement news had broken the news, she had a bigger remorse on her mind.

"Sayuri..." he worriedly said "We have to go now" he held his hand out for her. She looked at him and his muscles stopped working. She looked like a soulless person. Her eyes didn't glow the slightest, her pale skin against the black fabric made her look even worse. Her eyes were dry from crying too much. Every muscle in her body screamed in pain and she just stopped responding to any external stimuli. "Are you being nice because of the news?" She asked hoping that his answer was a yes.

"No" he awkwardly looked at his hand and at her before she gently took it.

She looked out the window blankly staring into nothingness as they headed to her house for the wake. All her father's friends were there. So was Tendou and his family. Akaashi and Bokuto made it too. She dreadingly accepted the condolences with a flat face. Not a muscle on her face twitched. All she did was blink and breathe through the whole ceremony and funeral service. As much as she wanted to fall into the grave with her father she was too exhausted for it. But she was content that she spent as much time as she could with her father. She learnt a lot more in the past few months than she'd ever had.

"Sayuri..." Akaashi hugged her "I'm so sorry"

"Thanks" was all she said. Bokuto's face had a big frown and his golden orbs teared.

"Boku san, don't cry and make me look heartless" she flatly said. She was out of her mind and she knew it.

"You're stupid, Yuri chan..." he sniffled wiping his tears away. Akaashi took her hand but couldn't fail to notice the diamond that pricked his finger.

"So, it's true" he bit his lip.

"It is" she looked into his eyes. They looked so hurt. She knew he was going to be angry, that he'd curse her until he breathed his last. She was proven wrong when he put his arm around her and hugged her. "I'm here for you." He said "no matter what"

Her heart was breaking even further and she didn't know how. Her heart had broken enough by now but she still managed to feel some pain.

"Thank you" she said.

"Will I be able to still come to see you?" He asked.

"Yes" she said.

"Please take care of yourself" his hand caressed her cheek.

Sakusa stepped in and Akaashi couldn't help glare at him. "Don't worry. I just don't want people to think otherwise" he looked away even though he wanted to peel Keiji's hand off her face.

"You know I'm engaged" she didn't want him to hurt himself. She had hurt people around her enough. She was exhausted from being an idiot. She had responsibilities and promises to fulfil. She had no time for this, none.

"That ring on your finger means nothing to me" he said and her eyes went a little wide. Sakusa's head jolted to look at the little daredevil, he was shocked to hear that. She just sighed looking away. Her lips pursed, she didn't know what to tell him.

"Call me whenever you need me. I'm right here" he gave her one last hug. "Okay?"

She nodded in reply.

"Yuri chan, don't hesitate to ask if you need anything" Bokuto smiled before he hugged her.

"Thank you for coming" she formally said before they left. She stayed back when everyone else left. She sat by his gravestone and traced her hand over his name. "I hope you're with Okaasan" she flatly said "I have so much work to do now. Thank you for bearing with me for so long. Thank you for doing all that you did, for taking care of everything the best you could" she found no emotions to spare, she felt like a horrible person but she was so empty she couldn't do anything about it. She sat at his grave not caring that it was a place for the dead. She wasn't very alive either.

"I'll take over from here. You rest" she pressed her hand against his grave before she left. Sakusa waited in the car for her to arrive, silently watching her lifelessly move her hand over the hard stone. He couldn't imagine what she was going through. She looked like she couldn't recover.

Sayuri couldn't sleep all night and the following night; and the night following that one. Her reality was a nightmare and her dreams scared her even more. She hopelessly walked to school.

"Sayuri!" Yumiko hugged her. "Are you better?"

"Yes" she flatly said "Thank you"

She brushed off the stares she received, her school wasn't even cold towards her anymore. It was worse. She felt the chilly air from every direction. From her own classmates. At least she wasn't known as the 'desperate orphan' before. Sakusa was the regulation hottie, he had the attention, he had the fan base. Girls literally crowded every time he went to play volleyball. Even at practice matches. He didn't like talking outside his circle but that didn't seem to blow them off. His stand off ish behaviour just made more of them like him like crazy.

"So you finally got him to yourself" Aiko sneered. Sayuri just sighed looking into the book she was reading

"I'm talking to you!" She threw her book away. "I hope you got what you want. Why did you do this to him? He doesn't even spare a look at you!!"

Sayuri was still as calm as she could get. It didn't bother her as much as she thought it would.

"Aiko chan..." Yumiko and Aniken tried to intervene.

"Stay out of this" Sayuri finally spoke and Yumiko stepped back. She continued to ignore Aiko.

She picked up her book and sat back in her seat "If you're done I'd like to resume" she deadpanned.

"Don't make me make you regret being a bitch! You desperate orphan! You don't even deserve this! How long have you planned for this to happen?!" She screamed before she held the collar of Sayuri's blazer.

"AIKO!" Sakusa stormed into the class on hearing it from the others.

"Stay out of this" Sayuri repeated but at Sakusa and his feet threatened him from moving any further. He had never heard that tone of hers and it worried him sick.

"And you think you deserve him?" She looked at Aiko "Do they know about all the shit you've done?" She raised her brows. She wasn't just angry about Aiko she was angry about every single wrong in her life. Basically everything.

"Talk to me like that again and I'll shut you right up" Sayuri deadpanned and Aiko stepped back letting go of her shirt. She opened her book again and began reading where she last left off.

The whole class was silent. Sakusa was distressed she was falling into a dark pit. People began to murmur about her again. Even his friends felt sympathetic towards her.

"They're unbelievable" Ubunaga scoffed and looked at Sakusa with a look that said 'Do something'

Sakusa narrowed his eyes at him and scowled. His mind finally caved in when he remembered how Aiko tried to bully her again. Sayuri looked like she needed nobody and Sakusa knew that was a complete lie. She was there for him when he thought so too.

"Ahem..." he awkwardly cleared his throat. It wasn't the first time he'd done this but it was the first time he'd done it for someone else.

"If I hear anybody mess with or talk about my fiancé..." he looked at Sayuri who had a stopped reading her book. She bore a confused look on her face as he looked straight into her eyes "...I'll deal with you myself!"