Bubblegum

The two went to the hospital to see his mother again.

"I'm so sorry. My son is such a pain to look after" she said and Kiyoomi's brows knitted.

"What? No" Sayuri laughed "He made amazing mochi, it was delicious"

"Who?" His mother's brows raised quizzically, she was a 100% sure it was someone else.

"Kiyoomi san" she pointed at him.

"Did I begin to hallucinate when I injured my head or did the world start spinning the other way around?"

"Okaasama!"

"He really made them. They looked like flint stones and they were so cute" she smiled.

"F-Flint stones?" He almost snorted.

"When did he?"

"Two days ago" she said.

"Do you have any weird symptoms? Nausea? Headache?" His mother asked as though talking to patient.

"Okaasama!!" He shot up from his seat and they laughed at him.

Sakusa was quiet on their way back "I'm sorry" he said

"What for?" She asked.

"Camping at your place" he said.

"Don't say that." She said but he wasn't convinced. "I'm less lonely that way"

"You sure?" He asked and she nodded.

"Come here" she laid his head on her shoulder and placed her hand on his cheek to keep him there. "Do you miss your mother?"

"No"

"Sure?"

"A little"

"She'll be fine" she said.

"I'm sorry she's annoying sometimes" he sighed.

"She's not"

"Well, it's just a common theory every kid agrees with. They all say their mothers are annoying"

"I wouldn't know" she smiled and he got up to look at her.

"I didn't mean to-"

"You can't be serious. I was kidding" she hit his arm. She wasn't kidding though. Dr. Sakusa was the only mother figure she knew. Her and Mrs.Tendou. He just kept examining her face trying to analyse all her expressions.

"Do you miss her?"

"Well..." she couldn't keep a straight face anymore. She cleated her throat "That's... quite a question. Yes, but I miss Papa more because I remember him better"

He didn't know what to tell her. "But you were right. If I suddenly disappeared nobody would look for me" she sat straight to see his face like she was saying something serious and he looked at her like she was bullshitting him.

"I'd come looking for you" he protested.

"Why? It's not your responsibility anymore"

"Why not? I live in your house now. That's enough to be responsible for you" He said and she raised her brow.

"Well, fuck that. I'd come looking for you because I love you. I'd search the ends of the world for you. So run wherever you want to, I'll find you" he scolded and she froze at his words. Her lips parted as she stared at him like he said the unbelievable. She thought her ears deceived her.

He was angry, but the look on her face poured ice on his fire. He gently cupped her face and leaned towards her as she closed in on him but just as their noses touched the door on her side opened. They were home. She quickly fixed herself and got out of the car before awkwardly heading inside.