15

Harry

It was my last day in England and I already missed it. Part of me wishes I could come home more, but the other part of me never really feels at home. I am always gone for long periods of time, I guess I'm used to living a gypsy lifestyle. I didn't know what to do when I was home. I felt so disconnected from everyone.

I kept checking my phone for a text or call from Audrey, but I hadn't heard from her in days. I assumed she had been busy with editing, but I know Audrey and I feel like something's wrong.

me;
hey love, I just wanted to check-in! I'm a little worried about you, call me when you're free xx

I sat and stared at the messages for a few minutes before I shoved my phone into my pocket. I gathered my bag before I walked outside. The crisp air brushed against my skin. I crawled into the driver's seat of my car. I checked my phone once more but still no reply. call her.

I dialed Audrey's number as I buckled myself in. 'Your call has been forwarded to an automated voice message system.' I sighed before I ended the phone call. I plugged the aux cord into my phone and then clicked shuffle.

I never thought I needed saving, I was right where I should be
Good God, I know it's dangerous, but it's you that I need
I'm in love this time
What have I done?
What have I done?
(What Have I Done - Dermott Kennedy)

The lyrics of the song hit me in the chest. Was I falling in love again? Did I really let myself open up? Had I let Audrey in? I can't fall in love again. I can't be that broken again. I didn't think I would ever recover last time I was in a relationship.

**

My mother, Gemma, and I all sat around the kitchen table enjoying our dinner. It felt good to be here, "So love, who's this girl you were spotted with in California?" Gemma asked before she pulled the beer bottle to her lips.

I felt my cheeks start to heat up as my eyes shifted back and forth between them. My mom looked at me, surprised that I didn't tell her. I shot Gemma an evil glare, "Her name is Audrey." I admitted before I shoveled more food into my mouth.

"Are you going to tell me more about Audrey?" My mother asked before she took a drink of water. I was starting to feel so uncomfortable and nervous.

"I mean, she's amazing." I wiped my mouth, "She's a photography major. She is really good at editing pictures and creating beautiful things." I watched my mother's face light up as I continued to go on and on about Audrey.

"Well," My mother started, "She sounds amazing. You'll have to bring her around for the holidays." I couldn't help but think of how much my mother would adore Audrey.

I felt my phone start vibrating inside my pocket, I pulled it out to see Mitch's face on my screen, "Would you excuse me?" I nodded to them as I walked away from the table. I made my way outside so I wouldn't disturb the rest of their dinner.

"Hey mate," I said as I pulled the phone to my ear.

"I am about to fly to London and kick your ass." He said without even saying 'hello.'

"What are yo-"

Mitch didn't even give me time to finish my question before he cut me off, "She is a good girl and you're being a dumb ass." I was genuinely confused, "I have never seen a girl look at you that way, and you're going to throw it away for some random girl in London?" He sighed, "I love you dude, but you really need to get your head out of your ass."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I snapped at him before he could say anything else.

"Have you not seen all the articles?" I remained silent, "Every magazine in California is covered in pictures of you walking the streets of London with some random girl." I sighed as I ran my fingers through my hair, "You know nothing about that?"

"I didn't have a damn clue." I felt like cursing the entire world, but I knew that wouldn't solve anything. "I've got to go, I need to call Audrey." I didn't give Mitch time to answer before I ended the phone call. I received all the answers to the questions I had been asking.

me;
please call me, I need to talk to you

I waited a few seconds then her face appeared on my screen. I answered immediately, I had to explain everything, "Hey Harry." Her voice was soft and low. "I don't have long, okay?" I could hear the pain in her voice.

"I haven't heard from you in days," I heard her sigh, "Mitch just called me and told me about the articles." I could hear her scoff after I finished my sentence.

"Harry, it's okay." She stayed quiet while she looked for something else to say, "I've got to go."

"Please, just listen." I begged, "I don't know what the articles say, but I can promise you that it's far from the truth."

"So you don't have another mystery girl tucked away in London?" She was trying to joke around, but all I could hear was the pain.

"Baby, I wouldn't do that to you," I reassured her. She remained silent on the other end, "I promise."

"I'm sorry that I have been ignoring you."

"There's nothing to apologize for love, I don't blame you." I ran my fingers through my hair, "I get jealous sometimes too, believe it or not. I think if the roles were reversed, I would be equally upset. Everything you're feeling, everything you felt is valid."

"You have such a way with words." She complimented.

"I have a question," I announced, she hummed. "Whenever I get back to California, can I take you out on a proper date? I would love to make up for all the stress that this situation caused you."

"I would really enjoy that." She admitted. From the beginning of this phone call to the end, her mood has completely shifted. She seemed relieved.