34

Audrey

After a month of waiting patiently, my mother finally decided she could clear her schedule long enough for us to spend time together. Sometimes I wished my mother and I were as close as we used to be, but I know that this is a part of growing up.

My mother and I enjoyed our morning cup of coffee in silence. I'm not entirely sure if I'm awake or not yet. I've noticed that whenever I'm not sleeping next to Harry then I barely sleep.

"How did everything go with the case?" I asked, she just shrugged. I could tell she wasn't awake yet either.

The silence returned and I wasn't a fan. Comfortable silence is so overrated. I searched my brain for something to say because I had so much to tell her, but I didn't know how to start.

"How is Harry?"

"He is good. Work is starting to pick up so he's busy all the time." She didn't say anything, she just hummed.

I could tell that something was off with her, but I wasn't going to address it. I didn't feel like arguing with her right now, I just wanted to enjoy today.

"Do you want to go get lunch then go to The Grove?" I asked while I rinsed out my coffee mug. "I could pay for lunch if you want me to."

"Are you sure you're ready to go back there?" Her question made my heart sting a little. I let out a deep sigh before I nodded.

**

I spent most of the day telling her about all the adventures I had with Harry. I told her about painting his nails, dancing in the rain, us playing the piano together, and all the other sweet moments we shared together.

My mother barely smiled whenever I told her all these stories. I knew that something was off about her, but I couldn't bring it up. Maybe she was upset with me and I didn't realize it. It was unlike my mother not to express how happy she was for me.

I looked down at my phone to see if Harry had messaged me, but he hadn't. I knew that he was busy with work, but I missed him. Was it weird to miss him? I mean we spent so much time together.

"You just checked your phone two minutes ago." My mother commented. I furrowed my brows at her before I shoved my phone into my pocket.

"What's up with you?" I asked as we walked back into the house.

I've had enough of her today. She's made enough snide comments, and I can't listen to another.

"What are you talking about?" She snapped as she dropped her bags to the floor. I mimicked her actions.

"You've made a lot of snide comments today. Anytime Harry gets brought up, your attitude changes entirely."

She didn't say anything, she just shrugged. I let out a sigh of frustration before I picked my bags back up and went into my room.

I started to fold the clothes I had just bought in order to fight off my frustration. I wanted to go out there and scream at her. She has no right to treat me poorly then not give me an explanation. I understand she's my mother, but this isn't how she usually acts.

"I don't mean to be so rude." She said as she walked into my room. "I just don't like how you've let Harry consume every aspect of your life." I stared, lacking expression. "He is all you talk about, and you're never home."

"Mom, I'm 24. I haven't had someone that meant this much to me in a long time, I figured you would be happy for me."

"I am happy for you, but if I'm being honest it's a little annoying when all you ever do is talk about Harry or whenever you're constantly checking your phone."

Maybe she was right. Maybe I had become too obsessed with Harry. I just didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

"You're never home. I have to beg you to come home and spend some time with me."

"I am home a lot more than you realize, but you're the one that's never home. I came home to spend time with you and you took a case. I had it all planned out for the two of us and you blew those off, just like you always do!" I raised my voice slightly. I was fighting to hide all the anger and frustration that I had built up.

"I have a real job, what else do you expect?" She yelled, no longer hiding her anger.

"You didn't have to take this last case, it wasn't a once in a lifetime case." I could feel my body start to shake, "You've been doing this for years! You'll complain about never seeing me then the second I wanna spend time with you, you disappear! I'm sorry for my language, but it's bullshit and we both know it."

"I don't why you think it's okay to talk to me like this. You have never talked to me like this." I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms across my chest. "You need to see where I'm coming from! You have completely closed yourself off to anyone except Harry. You barely talk to Kai anymore, and how is that fair to either of us? I understand that you're in love or whatever you want to call it, but it's difficult having to schedule times to see your own daughter."

"For one, Kai has a girlfriend now. He spends all his time with her, and I don't blame him! For two, you don't ever have to schedule times with me. Just like I said earlier you are never here because you feel the need to consume yourself in your work. For three, Harry has done a lot for me. Not too long ago, you were so happy for me and you were grateful for him. What changed? Where did it all go wrong? You should be so happy to see me happy after all the bullshit I've been through."

"I never said that I wasn't happy for you."

"Actions speak a lot louder than words." I continued to argue with her, "Harry is always busy with work, so I try to spend all the time I can with him. I know that he's almost finished with his album which means the tour is right around the corner."

"Then why don't you just move in with him? If you want to spend all this time with him, pack your things and move in with him. I could use this room for an at-home office."

My eyes bulged out of my head while my jaw smacked the floor. Is she really kicking me out? She's just gonna push me out on the curb.

She didn't say anything else because she realized that she had won this argument. Her words almost knocked me off my feet. I couldn't believe she really wanted me out of the house, but maybe it was time.

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and called Harry.

I didn't give him even a chance to even say hello before I decided to let it all out like word vomit. "So long story short, I need a place to stay for a little bit."

"Pack your things and I'll come to get you in an hour." I let out a sigh of relief.

I didn't know how Harry would feel about me moving in with him, to be honest. I mean, we had been together for months now but I still felt unsure at times. I wondered where his heart was and what he truly felt.

Sometimes I needed reassurance, but I was too scared to ask him. I didn't want to ask and that be a reason for him to close himself off again. I just did my best to let him come out of his shell on his own.

I looked around my room almost like I was trying to take mental pictures. This room had been mine since I was five. I can remember being too scared to have my own room, so I slept in her bed every single night. If you wanna be technical, Kai was there a lot of the time too. We were inseparable whenever we were kids.

It felt like hours that I had been packing, but it had barely been thirty minutes. I fought back the tears while I packed. I tried to pack the bare minimum so I wouldn't take up a lot of space at Harry's.

She didn't even look in my direction as I walked out of the house.

"I'm sorry to spring this on you last minute."

Harry shook his head while he threw my bags into the back of his car, "I've been wanting to ask you to move in anyways, just didn't know how." I couldn't help but smile.

"Just don't want to intrude."

"Don't worry, sweet girl. I always want you around." I blushed this time, keeping the same smile on my face.