𝚅𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚘𝚘𝚍;

MYSTIC MESSENGER
> Mary Vanderwood 3rd

a/n; if you love vandy say 'i fucking need a vanderwood route'

CW/TW; --

"Hey! Are you new around here?" A [h/c] coloured haired male spoke

"Hey! Are you new around here?" A [h/c] coloured haired male spoke. Vanderwood looked over to the male with a confused expression and nodded hesitantly. The unknown male's smile widened and he reached out his hand. He introduced himself. "Nice! My name's [Name]! What's yours?"

"V-Vanderwood..."

"Woah.. Your name's pretty. Your hair's pretty too! Can I touch it?" The brunette's cheeks turned slightly red and nodded once again. [Name] smiled widely at said male and gently stroked his hair.

"Wow. So smooth," Vanderwood only looked away in embarrassment as [Name] chuckled at his reaction. Letting go of his strands of hair, he reached out his hand towards the male. "Well, welcome to the agency! I'll be your partner from now on. Hope we get along well!" The brunette hummed in response as he took the other hand and shook it.

Vanderwood sat beside the occupied hospital bed. Hands holding the cold hands of the sleeping male. The said male's breathing was steady and slow. The sharp beeps from the Holter Monitor were the only sound that could be heard in the room. Sighing, the brunette slowly laid his head on the bed with his arm as the pillow. Fingers gently grazed across the palm of the other. It was rough and cold. Very cold. Vanderwood wanted to shed a tear but he knew he couldn't. [Name] hates to see him sad. If he happened to wake up right there and now, he'd scold the shit out of him. Comforting him after because he feels bad.

Vanderwood sat back up and reached for [Name]'s bandaged forehead. Feeling the rough texture of the bandage made him cringe. He felt the same texture before. Numerous times. Where [Name] used to hurt himself a lot when going on missions with Vanderwood. The brunette would always tend to his wounds while the [h/c] head would laugh the pain away.

The sudden memory made the agent chuckle softly. His hand touch [Name]'s silky hair and gently stroked strands of it. As he does that, the sleeping male suddenly shifted in his deep sleep, making Vanderwood retract his hand in shock. [Name] groaned softly as he tries to open his eyelids. Vanderwood panicked.

"[Name]. Slowly," Vanderwood quickly slid his arm behind the male, supporting him to sit up. [Name] let out a small grunt, placing his hand on his head. Dizziness took over and spoke out.

"Water. I need water," In an instant, Vanderwood took the jug that was full of water from the bedside cabinet top and poured some water in an empty cup. He gave the cup to the [h/c]-nette, which he gladly accepted. Sipping down his drink, he let out a breath. He looked around. Blinking a couple of times to adjust the lighting in the bright room.

"God.. Where am I..?" He asked, scanning every object in the room. Then he looked at the male beside him, who had a mixed expression.

"Why am I-"

"[Name]! Do you realize how careless you were on that mission!? You could've died you, idiot!" The taller male only sat there in silence, staring at the fuming male in front of him. His [e/c] orbs shifted to the other's male long brown hair, being extremely mesmerized by it. Completely forgetting about his current situation, he asked; "Hey.. what's your name?"

"Wha-? What are your saying? It's Vanderwood,"

"Wow.. your name's pretty. And your hair looks pretty as well.. Can I touch it?" The brunette was taken aback by his friend's words as a certain familiar scenario flashed in his mind.

'Deja vu..?'

Blinking a couple of times to get back to reality, he looked at the heavily injured male. He hesitated a little but kneeled with one of his knees to meet the same height as the [h/c] head.

"Go ahead.." [Name] smiled quite cheekily and reached for the brown locks. Getting ahold of it, his rough-textured fingers glided the soft and smooth hair gracefully. Gently stroking it.

"Wow. So smooth. How did you-" he stopped as he saw Vanderwood's hazel eyes glistening. Tears were swelling up Vanderwood's eyes when [Name]'s eyes met the other, threatening to roll down his puffy cheeks. [Name] quickly let go of his brown locks and panicked.

"H-hey! Why are you crying!? Did I do something? I'm sorry if I did!" Before [Name] could even reach out to the male in front of him, Vanderwood stood back up whilst his hot tears rolled down his face. Sitting on the edge of the hospital bed, he pulled the [h/c] head into a tight hug. Without hesitation, the taller male wrapped his arms around Vanderwood's smaller figure and accepted his hug. He didn't know why. He just met this man. Hugging a stranger confused him, but he felt like he had a connection with the male. He needed this.

"[Name]..? Don't you remember me?"

"N-no- ah. I'm sorry.." Vanderwood nuzzled his face into the crook of [Name]'s neck, digging deeper to seek his affection, comfort from him. Though the male only patted him on his back, letting the male sob.

"Hey, come on now.. Don't be sad.. I don't like to see people sad.."

"I know.. But I couldn't help it.."

"... Was I really an important person to you?"

"Yes, very.. Gosh, I really hate you so fucking much [Name].." Vanderwood says in between his cries. A small smile crept up on [Name]'s face as he held the male closer to him.

".. Don't worry. I'll remember who you are one day.. And that's a promise"

"..Promise..?"

"Yeah, promise!"